Using 3.5mm jack headphones on Samsung TV?

blaze2

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a Samsung Q80T and I have realized that newer TV's do not have a 3.5mm jack connection

So I am wondering if there is any way to connect my headphones somehow to the TV?

I have a samsung soundbar as well connected via optical cable

Thanks

Some of the newer TV's will connect via to bluetooth headphones so check that out.

Thanks for your help

however I am completely uninterested in wirless headphones of any type

Thanks for your help

however I am completely uninterested in wirless headphones of any type
Then you'll need to buy a Bluetooth adaptor with 3.5 output but you might have lip sync issues

Something like this would do you.
Amazon product ASIN B092DC3LNYYou would also need a one in, two output optical splitter,
Amazon product ASIN B07BKQVB8NSo optical out from your TV into the splitter then one output to your Soundbar and the other output into the D/A converter.
Your wired headphones will plug into the D/A convertor which has a volume control.

wow i never knew it would be that complicated

So the optical and jack converter would do, but how would you switch between the two, and does using that affect sound quality in anyway?

You would switch off the Soundbar when you want to use your headphones.
The sound quality will be fine.
I don't understand your reluctance to get a set of Bluetooth wireless headphones as suggested by @Kapkirk

I don't want bluetooth because I've only had problems with bluetooth

sound is usually inferior

having to constantly connect it and deal with disconnection and recognition of device

having to charge the headseat

and last but not least, reluctant to have a wireless wave transmitting device on my head

you might say its all bullshit BUT those are my reasons

I much rather stick to wired stuff unless its a gaming controller or tv remote

Just make sure the dac is compatible with 5.1 as many of the cheap ones only do stereo if you go down that route.

what does that mean lol, i'm still not entirely sure what to do
It means that you need to make sure any adaptors you buy are compatible with whatever audio formats you wish to use.

If your headphones and soundbar are just stereo though, then that might not be an issue.

Which soundbar do you have ?

No other thoughts?
JayCee gave you a suggestion above that may be your only option.

Depending on your soundbar and set-up, you may be able to use HDMI ARC to connect the TV to soundbar, which will free up your optical out and remove the need for a splitter. Does your soundbar have an HDMI ARC-enabled input ?

Last edited:
I had the same problem as you recently and eventually purchased some Sennheiser Momentum 3's, bluetooth signal is excellent and they sound pretty good too. As for charging I charged them for about 2 hours when I 1st got them and since then I've used them quite a bit and they still have over 60% charge. I felt that to go with wired could have meant a bit of trial and error so TBH I went for the bluetooth and I'm glad I did, just my thoughts.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom