1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

using 240V receiver in a boat

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by The Sheriff, Nov 8, 2004.

1. The Sheriff

The Sheriff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I am looking into this for a friend.

He has a boat and would like a receiver/amp setup in it (crazy guy), its got a battery and i know he needs an invertor but im unsure what exactly is needed. The amp will be along the lines of the sony 930 or denon 3801 and he also wants to have an xbox onboard.

what size invertor is needed, i noticed maplins do a 150w and 300w invertor for a reasonable price but would this be enough? Will he need to upgrade his battery too??

cheers for your help

2. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301

I've got the 150w version. It will power an x box no problem but you don't mention a display. To run a rec/display/xbox you would need something a bit heavier,even the 300w one may be a little light.Add everything up to see whats needed. I'd think one of the heavier invertors 600w and up may be a good idea.

3. The Sheriff

The Sheriff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    i completly forgot about the screen, He was looking at something like a 17" LCD PC screen. Seem to be so much cheaper than the 17" TV's.

how do i tell how much power the amp will run. Its got 6x100w per channel so is it simply just 600w or is it more complicated than that?

4. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    I'ts likely to run at much less than that (although what i don't know) as thatsmax power output. Try a technical request mail to Maplin and see what they suggest.

5. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    And note that the battery consumption is significant. If he's on a 12V system, and is taking, say, 240W from the inverter (it's the actual load that matters, not the inverter rating), at, let's say, 90% efficiency, then the total draw is 240/0.9*12 = 22 amp. A 66Ah battery, fully charged and in good condition, will sustain this for approaching 3 hours - probably somewhat less due to voltage drop in the connecting cables (which hasd better be very heavy duty). And that's without having to supply other equipment on the vessel. He may well need a bigger/addition battery, or to run his engine to charge it, or to float charge from shore power

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Having actually fiited ents systems in a couple of boats if it is a big one it will have a generator and limited 240 AC supply on board if small then there is the matter of a large inverter running off the egine....What sort of boat is it i musst assume reasonable large..... BEst off geting a Marine Fitters Advice on this and getting them to fit a proper system... Dont want to be caugh tup in foul weather with a flat battery and no power cause you were playing HALO 2....