Question Using 16:9 ALR screen for 2.35:1 anamorphic

Nehpets2112

Novice Member
Reaction score
I am using an Elite Screens ALR motorised 16:9 screen with my Epson TW9400. My goal is to consider a Panamorph Paladin for anamorphic projection as Most of my content will be CinemaScope movies.Rather than purchasing a new 2.35:1 screen and then considering a Panamorph Paladin lens what are your thoughts on using my current screen. The screen width is 2.6m seating 3m away.

Hi
I am using an Elite Screens ALR motorised 16:9 screen with my Epson TW9400. My goal is to consider a Panamorph Paladin for anamorphic projection as Most of my content will be CinemaScope movies.Rather than purchasing a new 2.35:1 screen and then considering a Panamorph Paladin lens what are your thoughts on using my current screen. The screen width is 2.6m seating 3m away.
, don’t know if you have upgraded yet , just seen the thread.
you would be wasting your money buying an anamorphic lens for your setup.
the idea is to fill a cinema scope 2.39.1 screen with the lens using a 16x9 projector , so a CinemaScope screen is needed as the width will leave the picture small with bars top and bottom.

The main reason these days to get an A-lens is to get more light for a larger, or lower gain scope screen, or a low output projector. You don't really fit any of those criteria, and you don't even have a 'scope screen, so although you won't have "projected black bars" you'll still have ambient and reflected light lighting up the unused portions of screen.

Seems like a waste of money to me.

The main reason these days to get an A-lens is to get more light for a larger, or lower gain scope screen, or a low output projector. You don't really fit any of those criteria, and you don't even have a 'scope screen, so although you won't have "projected black bars" you'll still have ambient and reflected light lighting up the unused portions of screen.

Seems like a waste of money to me.
100% but with the width of the screen hes Bound to have bars unless he overspills the picture right and left.

If it is the Panamorph Paladin vertical compression lens (at almost 3x the epson TW9400 price?), the A-Lens projected 2.35:1 picture will use the entire 16:9 area of the projectors light engine for 2.35:1 source in a smaller picture area inside the 16:9 area on the screen, so that will make a positive light output and resolution effect in the positive side, even using a 16:9 screen.

Using a 16:9 stretched 2.35:1 source will introduce minor scaling artifacts compared to the 1:1 pixel mapped source, depending on how good the scaler does it stretching, but the main problem using a 16:9 screen might be the amount of barrel lens distortion effect due to the vertical squeeze A-lens used on a flat-screen depending on the throw ratio, etc. This will usually be masked off using a cinemascope screen. (High-end A-lens often puts a big concave dent in the wallet too..:D) The extra glass between the projector lens and screen also do some harm in the ANSI contrast area, but high-end anamorphic lenses often look very good in real life so I think it's a shame, not more people try this out in the quest for a better home cinema experience these days..

Thanks for all your comments. The picture on the ES Cinegray 5d is great with the TW9400, with great contrast and sharp even with pixel shifting 4K. The screen is 16:9 but width of 95” gives me a 2.35:1 diagonal of 103” at 3.5m and currently with lens shift and memory the picture is moved vertically so that the black screen border material on the top edge gives me great contrast and the Epson’s blacks are so good that the lower edge is pretty black. My aim with discussing about anamorphic lenses is to maximise the potential of the projector, even though I think the picture is fantastic already. Getting the full pixel resolution instead of projecting black borders and even better brightness was my goal. You are all correct with the expense of a Paladin and It is out of my budget. A Lumagen is also cost prohibitive. I have actually bought a Panamorph UH480 and ATH1 motorised sled from Ebay at a bargain £226 and I will be experimenting with this. I know some of you might think that this lens will soften the 4K image but early tests look promising by holding the lens in place but I have to sort the installation which might not fit the plate from the A480 kit. There is also a great deal of extra weight and I might need a beefier projector mount The zoom will be reduced from 1.96x to 1.85x to fit my screen width.The other problem might be geometry.
I will experiment and probably dismount the projector to trial the lens. If results aren’t favourable the lens will be back on Ebay.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom