1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Users of the Archos AV380

Discussion in 'Portable Disc & Media Players & Recorders' started by monkeyleader, May 2, 2004.

1. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    So Im seriously thinking about getting one of these in the not too distant future .... love the thought of carrying around all of my music (possible IPOD for sale :) all of my digital photos .. and indeed a lot of movies ... just wanting to hear from anyone who is currently using this - especially from the PVR point of view ... how well does it work - what about getting recordings from my SKY+ box onto the archos ?

Any information much appreciated.

Nige

2. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Do a search in the mobile/pda forum. I did a wee review for the AV340. :smashin:

3. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Cheers for this :smashin: found it quite useful .... how does the PVR actually work - you attach it to the sky box and then is there software on the archos to do automatic recordings ... hmmm a portable Sky+ box :)

4. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Yeah, connect the supplied cables from the source(sky, vcr, dvd etc) and then simply connect the recording module, which plugs directly into the Archos unit. You have the choice of s-video or composite in. Both look quite good on a screen this small although s-video edges it slightly (as you might expect)
    The Archos automatically records all programs in MP4 format, with the audio side of things being encoded @192Kbps (MP3)
    You have 4 different video recording modes available. As usual the better the quality the larger the video file. (although with 80GB available, i would suggest you use the best quality every time)
    You can also set timers to record programs when you are out/asleep etc
    As mentioned in the previous thread, one of the most fabulous things about this unit is that it will quite happily copy DVD's (both Pal & NTSC). Although, strangely, it will not recognise a DTS soundtrack. (complete silence when playing back on the Archos)
    Don't hesitate to ask if you need any more info.:thumbsup:

5. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    So I know its been a while but back to the AV380 unit .... does anyone have any experiencec of its ability to perform as a video camera ?

6. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    So I finally got myself an archos (AV380) and boy have I been impressed. Check out some of my photos here I was just wondering if anyone knows where i could pick up spare batterys from - I have 2 but wouldnt mind a third ?

Nigel

7. pinatubo

pinatubo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0