1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

User Opinions on Players

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by sparkz, Nov 2, 2004.

1. sparkz

sparkz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm upgrading my system :D Changing my PDP433XME + DVD3800 to a PDP435XDE and either a DV79, DVD3910 or a DV868AVi (in order of preference from I've read). The idea is to use the HDMI connection for the DVD.

I'd be interested in opinions from anyone who has the Pioneer with one of these as to the quality and any problems. The Denon seems to have a few issues. As did my current one which may be a good reason to skip that one.

I'm not too concerned about the audio quality although features like audio delay might be useful. The main priority for me is to get the best picture quality.

Any comments?

Thanks
    Mark

2. eggybread

eggybread
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've seen both of these through my pioneer 434 screen at home, and they are different.

In a nutshell, for me the dv79 felt smoother somehow, in pans and action shots, and also perhaps better contrast, brightness and depth. The 868 did have more detail though, using its 720p upscaling.

I have seen the 3910 as well, back to back with 868, but that was on a 434 screen at sevenoaks, and the settings had been mucked about with, so I couldnt really get a good comparison, as they both looked fairly poor.

Alot of people in these forums rate the 3910. I bought the 868 in the end and am happy with it - just wish the 434 screen had more contrast!

3. NC11

NC11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    i also bought the 868 and VERY happy with it. it's connected through HDMI to a 504 screen and the PQ is excellent.

as you mentioned it seems that although the 3910 has all the possible connections\features it does come with a whole lot of problems. I've demo'd the DV79 and was happier with the 868.

4. OxfordDon

OxfordDon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Do not touch Denon DVD players, they are utter garbage. You WILL get freezes and lock ups, and sound drop outs, and they will deny it all. Their customer service breaks new ground in lack of care and incompetence, and this is from a Denon owner, previously 3800, now 2900. Never, ever again :mad:

5. WarLock

WarLock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have a 868 and its a marvel, a friend of mine came over and brought a dvd for us to see, he didnt understood how good the picture was, it was a dvd-r with some home made film in it and he said that in his player the image got a bit messy and trembled a lot, not in the 868 it was steady and clear.

im using a scart connection in rgb mode to a nemos 32

i only have one problem, if in the nemos i program the scart to rgb reception in some movies (starship troopers for example) i get a weird brown bar in the upper region of the display, if i set the connection to auto it disapears, i dont know if its a television or dvd issue, aniway i got it solved it works in auto mode just fine.

i just wanted to point out the only little problem i have with the 868 (or the nemos)

6. sparkz

sparkz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the helpful comments.

Looks like I might revise my list to 868, 79, 3910 in that order.

As NC11 and OxfordDon mention, my current 3800 does have problems so I wonder if I'd be tempting fate to go for another Denon. Mine suffers from frequent freezing and lockouts.

My experience with Arcam tech support has been very good and they seem quick to correct problems - so that would be a plus factor on their side. I have no experience with Pioneer having had no problems yet.

Good to see positive comments about the 868. I must try and find a shop which has the Pioneer combo and see for myself.

Thanks
    Mark

7. thepostman

thepostman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bit strong utter garbage...you WILL get freezes etc..........i have the 2200 had no problems so it might be better if you started your point with in my opinion as not everyone has suffered problems. :nono:

satisfied denon owner.........

8. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I've got a 868 and I'm more than happy with it on all counts.It looks awesome going throught the 504 - just wish I could say that with the other source material that goes through it !!!!

9. eggybread

eggybread
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Has anyone out there actually matched up their pioneer 434/504 screen with a 3910?

re other sources: I've run in my screen for over 700 hours now (and the pic has improved), and freeview looks as good as an ok dvd sometimes. eg. for a good quality broadcast like michael palins himalaya. the screen can give a pretty garbage picture if you get the settings out though. will post my freeview settings is you like.

10. awhb

awhb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This was exactly my question too. :D

I'm about to upgrade my 757Ai to an HDMI capable player but still need good DVD-A and SACD capability. :confused:

11. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27

Keep what you have.
    If your main objective is being able to use HDMI, you may be disappointed.
    I have yet to see a better picture than my DVD-3800.

Anyway, make sure you have a good demonstration before buying. :cool:

12. sparkz

sparkz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice. I have been trying to find a local one but everyone I've spoken to can't get enough of them as they're selling so fast. The dealer, who sold me my 433, did rave about it saying it was the best thing he'd seen etc. I mist be a little more patient now...