1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

User logon

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by niccam, Jul 28, 2005.

1. niccam

niccam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I was wondering if someone can help me with this problem.
    when I logon ( there is 4 users on the computer) it takes a while to load up, it can take up to 2mins, and I, wondering is there programs loading up that shouldn't be , is there a way off speeding up logon and disarming anything I don't want. Thank you for any info

2. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    First thing I would do is check the list of services running to determine what (if anything), is consuming your resources at startup (something definitely is if it's taking you that long to login). From the start menu, select "Run" and type "msconfig" in the box - if you look under the "Startup" tab you'll see a list of programmes that are set to run when you boot up - anything weird in there that stands out?

You should also download, and run some Spyware scanning software to see what you have lurking on your machine - the Microsoft software is good (available here), as is Adaware and Spybot.

Finally (just to rule out a hardware problem, right click on your C:\ drive in My Computer and select Properties. Under the "Tools" tab you'll see an Error Checking utility - run it and see if it picks anything up. A defrag may be worth doing to spruce your machine up too :)

With a bit of luck this should do something to aid the performance of your PC :)

Kelvin.

3. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Also have you defragged your C: drive recently and is it anywhere near full as they can both cause huge slow downs.

4. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,169
    It sounds like either a corrupt, or MASSIVE user profile folder.

Is this only affecting 1 user? that will confirm the above....

If so, Do this logged in as a different user to the one having the problem:

goto c:\documents and setings\
    then right click on the username in question and choose 'properties'

anything more than 50mb in size can become really unstable in 2000/XP
    (30mb is the official figure)

this is usually caused by either big files stored on the desktop, or a massive cache of temporary internet files.. or even files in the Temp folder

check out each and every sub-folder of the main user profile folder, which is the big one?
    ( you might need to 'show hidden files' in Tools> folder options)

If the userprofile folder as a whole is not that big, it will likely be corrupt instead.

look for a hidden file called NTUser.dat... rename it to NTuser.xxx and try logging back in as the user.... should be a bit quicker this time around!

You will lose some user config by doing this, you'll need to re-add any printers to get them working again..

:smashin:

5. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    check the archive of blackviper's site. lots of good stuff there..

6. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    The Dude, would stuff stored in my music contribute to this? i always thought it was wierd storing stuff in specific user areas, should i move it to my second hard disk?

7. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,169
    yeah... it's always a safe bet to move my documents and temporary internet files to anywhere outside of the user profile folder.

And don't keep data folders on your desktop either... shortcuts only.. ;)

8. dancingmatt

dancingmatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Really? :confused:

So what are we supposed to do with all "My Documents" and even bigger "My Music"? As it happens I do have these files on another drive, but I'm sure the majority of people don't. It's not immediately obvious how to change the location of the directory after all.

So if 30MB is an official figure, what were they thinking?

9. kolabere

kolabere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Where does this 50/30MB rule come form?

My Outlook folder alone is 42MB, and doesn't like to be anywhere else but ??:\documents and setings\<UserName>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft. In fact my current C:\Documents and Setings\<UserName> is over 80MB and I have all my 'data' files on seperate partitions.

I used ?? above because it is possible to 'install' the "Documents and Settings" folders to any partition, but DON'T try moving it after an install :eek: .

10. niccam

niccam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everybody did a check of the startup and found the following,there is alot and not sure what to keep as in will any of these stop windows working.
    VVTimer, Soundman, Iwctrl, PSDrvcheck,Igt, Ixbkmgr,nerocheck,opensite,Dragdiag,CMESys,bargains,jusched,optmizer,salm,realsched,E_S4ICHZ, qttask,iTunehelper,MsgPlus,BTHelpnotifier,ccApp,VrilstCK,gjsz,SNDMan,DrawTray,msmsgs,Internetruleup,Adobegammaloader,BT Yahhoo! Help

Is there any here that needs to be kept Thanks again
    PS. drive does not need to be defrag and no errors

11. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    They all look unnecessary to me, I do think that you can safely disable everything in the start up tab of msconig without breaking windows. I tend to leave in stuff relating to anti-virus software and video card.

Also check to see if there is anything in the start up folder within windows, Start - All Programs - Start UP, and delete anything you find that you don't want in there.

lisa

12. mabell

mabell
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  13. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    At the risk of sounding argumentative, a 50MB profile is far from "massive"...

As has already been stated, Outlook files alone can be in excess of 40/50MB - some of the profiles running on our work domain are in excess of 80MB and from a user perspective, take only marginally longer to apply than others which are far smaller. Unless the profile is in excess of 100MB, I think it's safe to say that it's not at fault here.

I'd put money on an intensive, unecessary startup application or Spyware.

Niccam,

Check the programmes in your startup list using this website here. You should be able to find out what item is what which will give you a better idea of what's not necessary :)

K.

14. niccam

niccam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well I disabled everything and that caused problems with my antivirus software and I have a larger internet task bar that froze and was not able to click on a smaller task bar behind so I had to do a restore system back 2 days to get everything back as before. Looked at the startup again and left what I thought was my antivirus and left that enabled but it still did not work seems as if I, going to have to take it 1 by 1 but that would be a long process
    Is there any way in finding out what these items (as mention above ) are so I can saftely disable them , they do have a location but there is not enough room to see all the text
    before I finish when I logon there is a windows message also say VITUAL MEMORY MINIMUM TOO LOW and says it will increase it but this appears everytime I logon any thoughs Thank you for all your help

15. niccam

niccam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi mabell I tried your suggestion but when right click it does not give me option 2?

16. kolabere

kolabere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    If memory serves me right "ccApp" is common client service related to Symantec's Norton AV running auto-protect - is that what you have?

Would need more info on your system set up to answer this.

17. niccam

niccam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes that is what I have, and going back to the MEMORY problem I think its to do with My documents size as I have read here that any thing bigger than 100mb causes problems going to move some things as my Docs is over 1GB.
    This taskbar at the bottom is starting to annony me because if you dont get rid of it when you logon to the internet (appears when on the interent) it will stay there and hides all my internet pages when miniumised
    My whole PC needs a good cleanup to get rid of all these stupid things that have been downloaded any suggestions? Thanks

UPDATE: half solve this annonying taskbar problem by right clicking on normal taskbar and seclecting the option off always being on top

18. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,169
    50mb is only really 'my' rule... based on years of sorting out user profile problems..

although 30mb is an official recommendation from MS...

If anybody ever has login probs, the first thing I (and most people I work with) check is the user profile folder size... some peeps say 100mb, some say 50mb, MS warn against anything over 30mb - it's 'old school' IT knowledge, so not well known these days.. ;)

If you're getting the low VM message I'd say it's definitely the user profile size...

for moving my docs:

right click on 'my documents'
    choose 'properties'
    choose 'move' :smashin:

MS aren't really at fault here, XP is developed from NT4 technology, which was geared around workstation users, who never stored data in their user profile, they store it on a server somewhere, in a dedicated folder..

19. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I agree - it's normally my first port of call also (certainly in a domain environment in any case). I was simply querying the sizes quoted and offering some alternate suggestions that I thought may also apply :) I guess i'm just not "old school" enough ;) :p

20. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,169
    totally agreed mate, it's always worth looking at all the possibilities, there's just a particular 'knowledge black hole' on user profiles for home users, that was my point really. I suppose MS should have anticipated the difference between the way home users, and domain users, store data.

I'd still honestly recommend to everybody who saves to 'my documents' to move the folder away from their user profile though..

as a reference, I'd say it can actually be quite normal for a 1gb user profile to take up to 2 minutes to load up... move the big folders out of there, and it's back down to seconds..

I *think* 2000/XP actually load the entire user profile into VM as you login!! :eek:

'they'll have it sorted in the next release...' :D

21. niccam

niccam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everybody have it sorted now and kolabere you were right ccApp was connected to Norton and was able stop all those annonying programs that started up when logging on and will have to move MY DOCUMENTS as it is very big. Thanks again