User friendly media player

jjparky

Standard Member
Hi,

I'm looking for recommendations for a media player to give as a Christmas present for my parents. I'd like something with at least 1TB of storage (internal would be better but I don't mind an external USB HDD). Main use would be for playing uncompressed DVD rips (using makeMKV) with the odd BR rip and h264 file.

The main thing is that it should be easy to use and be very reliable once the initial setup is done.

Network streaming would be a nice to have but not essential.

Can anyone suggest anything suitable?

Thanks

John

djglenn1337

Standard Member
have not used it but the WD live hub seems to perfectly match your requirements. Watching a few videos on youtube it looks very user friendly

jjparky

Standard Member
Thanks. That sounds like a good option. I'm guessing a mede8er or similar would be too complicated.

nwgarratt

Distinguished Member
I would go for the PlayonHD. It has better file playback than the WDTV. The WDTV has some annoying quirks when playing mpeg video files. For instance when I pause and start again, it can go back as far as 30 seconds. Do enough FF and RW at fast speeds and audio can get out of sync very quickly. It is even worse with Blu ray as the data is so much more.

The Playon also plays back Blu ray stuff better by reading things like chapters inside the iso.

The playon also has a useful timeline bar. Press the left or right button and a bar appears and the user and whizz up and down the timeline very quickly and press enter to start from the chosen position.

The playonhd also comes in a enclosure version (requires a sata HDD) or a mini version which uses external HDD's.

nacmacfeegle

Distinguished Member
AFAIK the WDTV Live Hub isn't available in the UK yet.
I use a WDTV Live and am not seeing the issues Nwgarret describes (firmware differences? I'm mostly using 1:1 MKVs inc blu rays) but in hindsight the main reason I would go for a Playon is DTS MA passthrough which is lacking on the WDTV Live.

I like the Gui on the WDTV live though, so its all a bit of a trade off.

nwgarratt

Distinguished Member
I am using the last official firmware. I play mpegs and Blu Ray ISO's. I have had the same thing with the WDTV HD Gen2 and WDTV Live.

Last edited:

nacmacfeegle

Distinguished Member
I am using the last official firmware. I play mpegs and Blu Ray ISO's. I have had the same thing with the WDTV HD Gen2 and WDTV Live.

I use B-rad's firmware which is based on the last official stable WD firmware, not Beta. I've used self ripped MKVs from MakeMKV (BRs and DVDs) and all have been flawless over USB. I'm in the process of moving them onto a very basic NAS, are you running yours from the network (lan/wifi?) or local?.
I don't do a lot of FF/RW I tend to use the 10 minute skip trick, set it going with ffw, then press the >>] .

I'll have a play and try to see if I'm getting the same as you.

nwgarratt

Distinguished Member
Using B Rad is not really user friendly or upgrading firmware for most people. To me User Friendly needs to work expected out of the box.

nacmacfeegle

Distinguished Member
"Using B Rad is not really user friendly or upgrading firmware for most people. To me User Friendly needs to work expected out of the box. "

A fair point.:smashin:

planthead

Nothing wrong with the wd tv live on stock firmware,,

my elderly parents use the hisense i gave them,,

there will always be a little tinkering with these type of players,, if you can stream from a network..spend time to download programs to rip dvds, create Br and Mkvs,

then sticking a usb pen into the back,, and putting brads and psychos on for a greatly enhanced experience,, is really easy!

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom