User created content in games, Hot or Not?

User created content in games, Hot or Not?

• Hot – Pretty cool, I can see myself getting creative!

Votes: 23 65.7%
  • Lukewarm – Not sure ill see if anything catches my eye

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Sub zero – Meh, It’s not what I play games for

Votes: 4 11.4%

• Total voters

Guns_LotsOfGuns

Moderator/Games Reviewer
What do you guys think about user created content in games, it sems to be a bit of a growing trend at the moment with more and maore games implementing it, off the top of my head these are the games so far that allow you to create stuff and show it off to the world.

Burnout Revenge
Forza 2
skate.
TH:pG
Halo 3

Last generation one of the biggest things to emerge was online play & Live etc, is user generated content what this generation will be remembered for? Or is it just a fad?

Personally i never thought i would care that much, however Halo 3 and Forge's content options are starting to look quite cool, ive also spent an unusually long period with the skate demo editing videos and uploading them, so maybe theres more appeal to this than i thought.

So much so that im thinking that rather than having different sites to upload all your stuff to maybe they could integrate it into xbox.com or even a blade on the dashboard, where people can see all the content in you different games but in one place, very much like acheievements are now but with movies, pictures etc.

What do you lot think User Generated content hot or not?

Codehead

Distinguished Member
I really enjoyed playing with the editor in Forza2, but stopped playing once I saw the masterpieces that were appearing in the auction house.

However, It's all good PR for games to be able to get to the content beyond the console. The upload option in Forza2 meant that people could post clean, detailed screenshots, rather photos of their telly with distortion and reflections. The game looks better, people want to buy it. Ker-Ching!

Easy access to content outside the console also floods sites like YouTube with free advertising for the game. Ker-Ching, Ker-Ching!

The PS3 version of Unreal Tournament 3 is able to have content created by PC users and I think it's a great idea. (the X360 version isn't having this feature).

Captain Beaky

depends to what extent you mean by user generated content. take for instance forza 2. im all for user generated liveries, in fact i love it- a great way to totally personalise your online persona. However, if a track editor would have been included, personally i wouldnt have made, or played anyone elses track, for a couple of reasons ;

1, - not everyone is a game designer and most user made levels/tracks are poor. im well aware of this from hours spent playing/deleting loads of user made maps in half life 2 / unreal tournament / doom.

2, - you would end up with a market so flooded with new content that any good maps that came out would be lost in the mire of mediocre stuff.

Unless a group of people got together to form a "mod group" then I cant really see it making a significant difference to "the average gamer". But dont get me wrong, Im a huge fan of mods - my favourite all time game is a mod (forgotten hope of battlefield 1942). in that sense i suppose it makes sense. even if you had 100 pieces of poor content for every forgotten hope, then its worth it.

nice one beaky! in the process of writing this post ive made no sense and changed my initial point of view!!! :rolleyes: :suicide:

Guns_LotsOfGuns

Moderator/Games Reviewer
The PS3 version of Unreal Tournament 3 is able to have content created by PC users and I think it's a great idea. (the X360 version isn't having this feature).

You sure about that Chief?

At Gamefest 2007, however, Microsoft's official line was less clear. To deliver user generated content, developers can take advantage of what's called Xbox Live Silver Platform (XLSP), where the data transferred runs through the publisher's servers, not Microsoft's. Publishers then become responsible for what runs through it, monitoring and policing offensive content, etc. Taking advantage of it, however, requires Microsoft approval.

ORLY?

I wouldnt write it off just yet ;)

depends to what extent you mean by user generated content. take for instance forza 2. im all for user generated liveries, in fact i love it- a great way to totally personalise your online persona. However, if a track editor would have been included, personally i wouldnt have made, or played anyone elses track, for a couple of reasons ;

1, - not everyone is a game designer and most user made levels/tracks are poor. im well aware of this from hours spent playing/deleting loads of user made maps in half life 2 / unreal tournament / doom.

2, - you would end up with a market so flooded with new content that any good maps that came out would be lost in the mire of mediocre stuff.

Unless a group of people got together to form a "mod group" then I cant really see it making a significant difference to "the average gamer". But dont get me wrong, Im a huge fan of mods - my favourite all time game is a mod (forgotten hope of battlefield 1942). in that sense i suppose it makes sense. even if you had 100 pieces of poor content for every forgotten hope, then its worth it.

Thats definatly what Bungie are planning with thier Bungie recommends section, cherry picking the best stuff and pushing it to the top. They will even put the very best stuff into the matchmaking rotation.

CounterWhine

I voted meh!

I've both used and created such content in the past and both were fun. But it's very rare for user-generated content to be of a sufficiently high standard to warrant my time. You'd have to have a lot of time on your hands to really be bothered about the mod I wrote but then I wrote it for my own enjoyment as a programmer rather than for anyone else (in fact, releasing it was a mistake because I instantly got bombarded with emails from retards that couldn't expand a zip file into a folder).

I'd rather have user-generated content filtered by someone else and delivered to me as official content such as with the winning entries of the Make Something Unreal contest.

Guns_LotsOfGuns

Moderator/Games Reviewer

durera

Get out of here with your crazy so-called "facts", why can't you just make stuff up like everyone else? :)

As for user created content; for me it completely depends on what the content is. I don't really care for liveries or custom created avatars or whatever like that as it doesn't affect the gameplay 99% of the time -- e.g. in Forze I don't even see my car when I race due to my choice of view.

I'd like to see user created maps & mods on the 360 -- but it would be nice if they were somehow vetted so only the good ones make it to the console. I always hated trawling though hundreds of mods on the PC to find 1 or 2 gems.

Get out of here with your crazy so-called "facts", why can't you just make stuff up like everyone else? :)

As for user created content; for me it completely depends on what the content is. I don't really care for liveries or custom created avatars or whatever like that as it doesn't affect the gameplay 99% of the time -- e.g. in Forze I don't even see my car when I race due to my choice of view.

I'd like to see user created maps & mods on the 360 -- but it would be nice if they were somehow vetted so only the good ones make it to the console. I always hated trawling though hundreds of mods on the PC to find 1 or 2 gems.

A rating system would be a good idea. That way you could choose only to download maps that get 5 stars. I think MS would want to charge for all DC anyway.

Jackkk

A rating system would be a good idea. That way you could choose only to download maps that get 5 stars. I think MS would want to charge for all DC anyway.

How can ms charge for something they haven't created or own???

BTW - I think any extra content for games can only be a good thing you like it you keep it and the game has more playability / or / you dont like it, you dont use it still the same game. You cant lose! :thumbsup:

How can ms charge for something they haven't created or own???

BTW - I think any extra content for games can only be a good thing you like it you keep it and the game has more playability / or / you dont like it, you dont use it still the same game. You cant lose! :thumbsup:

They own Live and there have been occasions where developers have created DC intended to be free and M$ have made it premium content. They have to have a finger in every pie. Of course they are going to find out how to make cash from it.

Slyboy

I reckon about the best user created 'content' so far is the face mapping in Rainbow 6 Vegas using a live camera. Theres nothing like playing your mates and seeing them running round and shooting them in the head!!

Seriously though, I dont know why this feature is not used in more games. It really personalises it.

Kahled

Pretty much luke-warm on the idea really.

I can certainly see the potential of such a facility but then I can also see a number of downsides. Forza with its customisation was a fantastic approach to user generated content as it in no way affected the dynamic of the game itself, it was a low impact facility with no intrusion that you could use or not use. When you start talking about user designed levels and missions though it becomes a less attractive proposition and will most likely become a case of not being able to see the wood for the trees, for such a feature I would expect 90%+ dross, maybe 2% class and no doubt a good smattering of offensive content interspaced between (how long do you think it will be before there are UT levels played within a swastika arena for example?). With how many exploit glitches and so forth then user created content would be a boon for the cheaters who would create their own vantage points and secret places to get the maximum benefit for themselves.

A rating system might help but I would prefer some quality control board, either Microsoft or a third party, that oversaw what products were suitable for release and would not just be a waste of time.

Not sure, it's a great idea in principle but in practise I have a lot of reservations.

Guns_LotsOfGuns

Moderator/Games Reviewer
Just thought id bump this poll, now skate. & Halo 3 are out and people have had a chance to play with the user content features are people more interested? or is it not as good as you thought it would be.

Im liking the Halo 3 options, ill be picking up skate. soon so ill check those out, i still think user created content is hot.

Ico.

Anything that personalizes the game I think is a good idea, and being able to save films to brag/ show off is a good thing IMO.

It will probably never happen on the 360 but I spent hours playing user generated stuff for Unreal years ago. Brand new maps made by the community that people could play. I remember a good Star Wars themed map and oddly a map made out of giant Lego blocks!:thumbsup:

Mattk84

Banned
My only concern with user created content(that may be totally unfounded) is the possibility of a cheeky virus being included.

CounterWhine

Just thought id bump this poll, now skate. & Halo 3 are out and people have had a chance to play with the user content features are people more interested?
I'll stick with my existing vote:
I voted meh!

I've both used and created such content in the past and both were fun. But it's very rare for user-generated content to be of a sufficiently high standard to warrant my time. You'd have to have a lot of time on your hands to really be bothered about the mod I wrote but then I wrote it for my own enjoyment as a programmer rather than for anyone else (in fact, releasing it was a mistake because I instantly got bombarded with emails from retards that couldn't expand a zip file into a folder).

I'd rather have user-generated content filtered by someone else and delivered to me as official content such as with the winning entries of the Make Something Unreal contest.

My only concern with user created content(that may be totally unfounded) is the possibility of a cheeky virus being included.
I really wouldn't worry about that. I work in the anti-virus industry and spend zero time worrying about my Xbox.

I notice Chief Killer got himself banned. He was only a member for a month. I wonder what he did :devil:

RidleyDeckard

I think user created content is a great idea and I think it's a real shame that Big Little Planet isn't coming to the 360, that game is going to take UCC to a whole new level

kav

Distinguished Member
Though it's undoubtedly a great feature to have, I simply would not have the time to (a) create or (b) use user-generated content. I just about get time to play my games, never mind explore all the intricacies that are available to prolong their shelf-life! Still, it's good to have this stuff available, and like some of the others said, if someone else could filter through all the crap to pick out the best ones, I'd gladly play them!

featherhall

Distinguished Member
It doesn't interest me in the slightest, however its great to have it for those who do like it.
I have the Live Camera, and like a previous poster, I do wish games let you map your face on the games characters. It cant be hard to implement, and makes it fun for playing against friends.
Map editors, and modding cars is not my forte, but like I say, great option for those who are into it.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Samsung's 110-inch Micro LED TV on pre-order at Harrods
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bang & Olufsen introduces Beosound Emerge speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony launches native 4K VPL-VW290ES and VW890ES projectors
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 14th April 2021