1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Useless feature?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by OARDVD, Oct 8, 2004.

1. OARDVD

OARDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere here but it seems that the next generation of Pioneer DVD recorders in Japan (DVR-920, 720, 625, 525) are going to feature the option of –VR recording on to DVD-R.

http://www.pioneer.co.jp/press/release144.html

Personally I don’t see the point of this since discs recorded in this fashion won’t play back on the majority of decks. Even if they are physically compatible with DVD-R (as most players are) they are unlikely to be logically compatible as they won't recognise -VR. Even if they are -VR capable then they probably won't like the DVD-R/-VR combo. For example, my E100 happily plays –VR on RAM & -RW discs but it doesn’t recognise DVD-R discs that I’ve authored on my PC in –VR mode. In addition, DVD-R discs are not re-writable so any editing you do on them in –VR mode will be very limited since disc space won’t be returned.

There’s already a plethora of DVD disc formats & recording modes out there so is this a useless, unwelcome & potentially confusing feature?

2. Zedmeister

Zedmeister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    On the subject of -VR, do you know of any good PC software that will write -VR onto DVD-RAM?

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    The benefit of this is limited: but there is logic behind it. Write-once media is currently out-selling re-writeable media by 30 to 1. Forecasts suggest that this difference will increase dramatically over the next few years - especially as media prices continue to plummet. Thus it is quite possible that re-writeable media will become harder and harder to get - especially as shelf space is cleared for the new high capacity formats. Thus allow recording of -VR to DVD-R means that users still have the ability to transfer video in this format to their PCs (which obviously has benefits such as not being divided into 1GB segments etc).

Some of the Ulead ( www.ulead.com ) programmes will do this for you.

4. OARDVD

OARDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good point Rasczak

5. Zedmeister

Zedmeister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Have tried the Ulead software (DVD Movie Factory) but was not impressed. Can't remember why - it was either a problem with the aspect ratio (ie widescreen files were being converted to 4:3 and distorted) or it kept crashing. I tested quite a few packages including neoStudio but nothing really worked. I settled on Nero in the end but it does not support -VR - shame.

6. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

I think the main reason that this thread has overlooked is that VR mode can support CPRM (copy protection), currently only used on DVD-RW/RAM as only those discs support VR mode. Supporting it on DVD-R will allow archiving from hard-drive to a write-once disc whilst keeping the copy protection. CPRM is used a lot in Japan.

Regards

Philip

7. Zedmeister

Zedmeister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Nice one. PhilipL. Sounds like you've hit the nail on the head!