Usefull PS3 Info - Sorting Media

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by MikeWarner, Feb 5, 2009.

1. MikeWarner

MikeWarner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I've not long had a PS3, I've been using it mainly for media playback. I have a Western Digital NAS drive which I managed to hack and install Twonky on - this works great and I can recommend this to anyone. I have 350GB of videos btw (I've backed-up my entire DVD collection!).

The only issue is, the NAS drive was on all the time, using power, making noise etc. Also, streaming from a NAS drive causes a bit of lag, plus you don't get thumbnails for the files.

Today I installed a 500GB drive into the PS3. I imported some movies and was shocked to see them imported to a single location. This was a problem as navigating this many files in a single 'folder' was near on impossible.

I searched all over the internet to find a way to sort these into seperate folders (i.e. episodes of Lost in a folder called Lost). I found nothing online except people asking the same questions, but figured it out myself anyway. I'm posting this in an attempt to help others who may be searching for something similar. There probably is a site detailing this somewhere, but I couldn't find it - this site gets good search engine rankings, so is a good place to post something like this.

Assuming you have copied some videos to your PS3 already, go to the videos section, highlight a video (do not select the video, just 'hover' over it) and press the triangle button. Select 'group content' and then select 'by album'. This groups things into albums, one album for each time you import - so if you imported episodes of Lost today, they will all be in an album with today's date (2008-02-05). If you import a few different times in one day, seperate albums are created and a number is added at the end (2008-02-05-2). The trick here is to import everything by group - not all at once, i.e. import all Lost episodes, then import all 24.... etc.

Now the clever bit. Go to the album with episodes of Lost (again, don't go into the album, just hover over it) and press the triangle and select information. You will see info about the album, and you can then change the album name to 'Lost'. You can do this for all albums.

Now - what if you copy more episodes of Lost to the PS3? They end up in a seperate folder right? Yes, but change the album name to 'Lost' and it merges the new album with the old one!! You can also change album per file.

I was extremely happy when I found this out - I hope this helps a few others out too.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  2. 328iGuy

328iGuy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    This is a great post, thanks a lot for the tip.

Although I mostly stream my media over my network from my NAS, including my 1080P media.

3. Wideload

Wideload

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Fantastic - thanks very much for this info. I popped a 500gb drive in my PS3 and have backed up most of my dvds onto it. Will be giving this a try asap :thumbsup:

4. AL_B

AL_B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Excellent post.

Wonder if you can do the same with pictures and music?

AL

5. Tigerblade

Tigerblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +590
    Yes you can....thought this was common knowledge :confused:

:rotfl:

6. Billy Hunt

Billy Hunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Damn!
    I put the whole of supernatural Series 1 on the PS3 the other day but I edited the album for each individual episode, 22 times!

Now I know how I'll do it in future :rolleyes:

7. MikeWarner

MikeWarner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Here are some photos:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. todd69

todd69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you so much for this, it really was my last stumbling block for using the PS3 as a media center.

:thumbsup:

9. philby85

philby85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mike,

How do you get the images to display on the folder icons? Does this only work for folders stored on the PS3?

cheers

Phil

10. BradleyLove

BradleyLove

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    The PS3 uses the first thumbnail from within that folder. For example:

Folder 1
    -- Movie 1
    -- Movie 2

In this case the Folder 1 icon will use the icon for Movie 1, but only the first frame of the movie icon. So if Movie 1's icon starts black and then fades to the movie intro, the Folder 1 icon will be black also.

Furthermore, depending upon how you order your content (title, import date, etc) will depend which movie icon the folder will use. The folders themselves cannot have icons applied to them.

Hope I've explained that well enough.

11. philby85

philby85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Bradley,

You explained it perfectly:clap:

I guess it one of my biggest gripes that you cant have individual folder icons. I would love to have movies, tv,etc Some of the artwork available for other systems is fantastic. It would give the system a nicer look.

philby

12. Whisper

Whisper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Nas using Twonky too and agree it's not ideal :(. Also, my Nas woke me up last night with a horrible noise - thought it was in it's death throes :eek:. This seems a good solution. Can I ask (probably a silly question), when you say you import the movies over do you mean from the Nas and what files are they i.e. single Vobs ?

13. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    This is one of the many reasons many people are using PMS media server for streaming. Custom artwork for movies etc..(not just using the thumbnail but your choice of Jpg :thumbsup: )

14. philby85

philby85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So you can change the folder icon with pms media server? I thought it was just add a thumbnail for the movie.

cheers

Phil

15. MikeWarner

MikeWarner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I just imported them from Twonky directly. On the PS3, navigate to Twonky and to the folder to import, press the triangle and then select import. VOBs aren't a great fomat to use as you can navigate through the file very well. I've converted all my movies to .avi or .mp4.

16. Mickey123

Mickey123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    thanks to the original poster for sharing this find of how to use folders. Helped me out alot. :thumbsup:

17. crooksy

crooksy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I thought I was a pro-active advocate for all things PS3 Media Server related but you Uridium get the gold star :D

When I first discovered PS3MS I wanted to tell everyone and felt I had uncovered some well kept secret.

It surprises me why some people who go the PS3 streaming route still don't look at it.

18. Axum

Axum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +805
    Usually because they're afraid to install anything and something like WMP usually comes installed as part of the OS.

There's no excuse for people to use TVersity though ;)

19. crooksy

crooksy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I guess so - I do recall thinking that it might be a bit daunting setting up and installing PS3MS because it didn't look like a normal commercial application and that I'd need to swat up on setting it up and installing everything to get it to run.

But that couldn't be further from the truth, it was the easiest application to get up and running out the box.

20. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    :D

Thing is I'd say at least 75% of the streaming problems posted here are cured just by using PS3MS.

21. Mickey123

Mickey123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    OK, ive now got all my media sorted into folders. great :thumbsup:

What does everything read the wrong way up though? IE Id like them to list from 1 at the top to 10 at the bottom instead they read from 10 to 1

Anyone??

22. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    It's probably sorting them alphabetically rather than using the track number ID3 tag. Most MP3 players etc..do the same.

Best way round I've found is to add a two digit leading number onto the Track name tag.

e.g.

From

Song 1
    Song 2

To

01 - Song 1
    02 - Song 2

23. Mickey123

Mickey123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Dont think I got my point out clearly there mate.

It is sorting them alphabetically, but backward:confused:

IE

f
    e
    d
    c
    b
    a

When Id like

a
    b
    c
    d
    e
    f

Im guessing perhaps the Japanese read from bottom up:D

24. notfes53

notfes53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    First a big :thumbsup:Thank You:thumbsup: to Mike Warner, the OP, for a well written explanation of how to set up a file structure on the PS3.

I'd just like to add a small tip concerning the repeat re-labelling of each additional "album group" name. When you pull up the first dated file to rename, and select "Edit", you'll see the on-screen soft keyboard. You then delete the date and substitute a new folder name e.g. Lost Season 4. Before you exit the soft keyboard you can use a copy function - the symbol is in the bottom right hand corner of the soft keyboard. You have the option then to copy the new name.

When you pull up the next file to rename and select edit, which brings up the soft keyboard, you will have the option (once you have deleted the date entry) to use the paste function to repeat the desired folder name.

This saves a considerable amount of time when renaming the folders for a large series.

Hope this explanation can be understood and is of some use to someone else.:hiya:

25. MikeWarner

MikeWarner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I've not posted on this for a while, but in response to an earlier question in the "Folder" thumbnail - someone pointed out that it does indeed come from the first frame of the first file in the "folder". However, if you set the first files to have a custom thumbnail, it will take the first frame of that instead. The custom thumbnail are 10 second clips of the files. So, for episode of lost, if the set the first file's thumbnail or start where the Lost logo is shown, the logo will be shown as a icon for the folder.