1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Used Toshiba 42pw23 Advice

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Jonmurgie, Jun 6, 2004.

1. Jonmurgie

Jonmurgie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Hello everyone... great forum :)

On Friday I was offered a used (about 1-1.5 years old) Toshiba 42PW23. It was used in an office board room for display purposes and as such has got some screenburn present.

Now it's fairly uniform in shape and isn't like a logo burn as you get with normal TV viewing, but as though they had some presentation on there and it's burnt the borders of it around the edge (so the burns are a horizontal and vertical block of line about 2 inches in size).

I've been using the TV since Friday and it's only really noticeable on bright scenes, and therefore I'm thinking it's liveable with.... here's a pic where you can see the burn:

[​IMG]

Question is... I'm paying £150 for the TV... is that a decent price for a set with some screenburns on it? Also, would it be viable to replace whatever needs replacing to get rid of the burn?

Any advice would be great, other than the burn the TV is awesome and I can see why many people rave about it and it won awards last year!!

Thanks in advance
    Jon

2. ayrshiredude

ayrshiredude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd say that if you are happy with the picture and can live with the screenburn then £150 seems like a good deal. I couldn't live with it but then that's me lol. It's you that is watching it.

AS far as fixing the screen burn goes I don't think that you can fix it without replacing the CRT guns and that would kinda outway the very low price that you are paying for it.

:clap:

3. Jonmurgie

Jonmurgie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Thanks for the reply.... would it be totally un-viable to replace the CRT's on the set then? Where might I find at least a price for parts?

Cheers
    Jon

4. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Approx £300 for each CRT gun, + work time to get them calibrated and installed.

5. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    I think you got a bloody good deal mate.

Im sure after a while you wont notice it.

Dal

6. Jonmurgie

Jonmurgie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    So at around £300 for ach CRT I can see that it's not worth doing, when the set can be had for about £800 new!!

Ah well, it will do for now... having just read the threads on converting the loft, it's got me thinking... :)