Used Speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Chris_D, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Chris_D

Chris_D
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on buying used speakers (including subs). Does a speaker's quality degrade after time and do you think it worth while spending the money to get brand new speakers? I have just bought myself a receiver and am looking at buying my first set of good speakers, im wondering as a beginner its worth getting second hand ones.

Thanks
    Chris

2. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Chris,
    Yes and no. A little vague I know. But if the speakers have been well looked after and are not too old then you should be all right. If someone has thrashed them to death then probably no. I guess it's a bit like cars in that sense.
    I've never bought a pair of speakers second hand but I have bought ex Demo. I haven't had a problem. If you are considering buying secondhand make sure you get to see them beforehand or if not that try for photo's. There are some real bargains to be had providing your careful.

3. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,730
    Well, all of my speakers including the sub were bought from the classifieds on this forum. Having been down this route I would NEVER even consider buying new again. Obviously, there will be a few dodgy deals out there, but just check out the classifieds and you'll find a whole load of geniune people selling quality stuff at reasonable prices. As speakers have very little to go wrong with them, chances are that if they're OK when you first listen, they'll be OK when you get them home. Of course, speakers will degrade over time (most things do, including myself), but the chances are that unless you're going for something ancient, they'll be fine.
    Always take the grills off for a check round the cone, foam/rubber surround etc. Keep these off when listening to something, and check there are no adverse buzzing/flapping noises. Check to see if there's any evidence of the drivers being removed (the screws may look a bit, well, screwed).
    Generally though, you will find that the guys here take care of their kit and all the stuff I have bought (and sold) could have come straight from a shop.

Phil