• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Used speaker minefield

bookers

Standard Member
Hi Everybody I'm new here. Have not been on a forum since I lived in the UK 10 years ago. I am in a fairly isolated place in Western Australia, so popping down to Richer sounds is not an option. I am just about to venture back into hi-fi having sold my last kit a few years back. So I have just scored a Cambridge 740 c of ebay, next is speakers, then amp. So I have seen a pair of Monitor Audio silver 8i and also a pair of Wharfedale evo 40's ,not sure which way to go on this one , with no chance to audition. All I can say is I owned a pair Mission Argonauts before and I did like them. So any input here would be a good start. Maybe I could discuss a matching amp in another thread later. Thanks in advance.

12harry

Distinguished Member
Hi
It's not a lot to go on, but with a big room, you should try for larger speakers, if possible.

As you will know the problem with s/h speakers is you can't rely on Reviews, rather you are taking a chance . . . but that's in the price.

Good luck.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
If you liked your old missions then you would probably prefer the brighter sound of the Monitor Audio speakers.

bookers

Standard Member
Hi
Thank you for the reply guys, yeah 12harry, indeed picking speakers by review alone is unsteady ground. But generally there's usually someone who has used what your looking for in the same environment if your lucky. The big room I have has a fairly isolated sound stage, don't know if thats the ceiling design or not , it's easy for sound to dissipate in some large rooms and positioning is more important than smaller areas. PSM1 I was thinking of the MA 8i over the Wharfedales, but just needed some clarification. I suppose the other question is the MA's are about 10 years old, the Wharfedales are newish.Although I generally don't let age be too much of a factor in my decision unless something is getting a bit too long in the tooth.

bookers

Standard Member
OK so I have missed out on the MA's they sold while I was at work, oh well. So now I noticed the same seller(he's a dealer) has a pair of Mordaunt-Short ms 816's I vaguely remember an article on these in some hi-fi mag(it is vague) anybody had any run ins with these badboys. And there are still the Wharfedale evo's to consider.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Morduant Short have a similar sound signiture to Mission so again these could be the better option for you considering your preferences.

bookers

Standard Member
I will have a crack at the MS's and see how we go. Something stopping me plumping for the Wharfedales don't know why, all the reviews are very favourable. Thanks for the reply again PSM1.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom