• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Used SKY HD Box Multiroom

bobster316

I already have Sky HD setup and want to add another Sky HD box in another room, i bought a near brand new Sky HD box off someone and he left the viewing card in the box. Does this mean the card is already paired ?

I havent cabled up yet, should i run a twin/dual cable from the dish to the
new box (dish has a quad lnb)

Will i have to pay another 10 quid for multiroom?

I dont want to pay another 10 quid for extra HD subscription, i'll be happy with the free HD channels.

Broadz

Distinguished Member
I already have Sky HD setup and want to add another Sky HD box in another room, i bought a near brand new Sky HD box off someone and he left the viewing card in the box. Does this mean the card is already paired ?

The card will be paired with it for the time being. But once he cancels his Sky TV subscription it won't be of much use to you, paired or not. It will only give you access to the four FTV channels - for viewing, not recording.

I havent cabled up yet, should i run a twin/dual cable from the dish to the new box (dish has a quad lnb)

Yes.

Will i have to pay another 10 quid for multiroom?

If you want multiroom, yes. If you only want the free channels, no. But if you only get the free channels, you won't have Sky+ functionality either.

bobster316

Thanks for that, so if i pay for Sky Multiroom i should get all the channels that i get on my main subscription apart from the paid HD channels (not going to pay extra for HD), will i still be able to use the record functionality?

Is there any difference between Sky card used in normal box compared to HD box?

Broadz

Distinguished Member
Yes, if you take out a multiroom contract you will receive a mirror of what is on your other box, minus the HD Pack channels - and minus ESPN, Chelsea TV, MUTV and any other non-Sky channels that you might pay for - on the second box. Sky will send you a card with the multiroom subscription on it which you will then pair with the second box. You will have full Sky+ functionality on both cards/boxes. You won't continue using the card that was in the box when you received it - as it is not in your name, and cards/accounts are non-transferable.

The only difference in the cards is what information is held in the chip on them. The cards all look identical.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom