Used Renault Megan Estate

archie2000

My son is currently looking at buying an 07 plate 1.5 diesel Megan estate with 86k on the clock.
The car looks very tidy and drives well. Does anyone have any experience with one of these, and any advice on what to look out for?

Cheers

Last edited:

IronGiant

Qwerty has/had a 2.2 Laguna diesel not sure what age though... possibly an older model. Maybe he'll be along to comment later...

archie2000

Thanks Irongiant, but it appears I got my models mixed up.
Should have put Megan, not Laguna.

Thanks for responding though :)

NorvernRob

Distinguished Member
I don't think there are any major issue with those engines, but someone else may know better!

Make sure the windows work - the regulators were a massively common failure on Meganes. And check the doors aren't full of water, if the drain holes get blocked it leads to water sitting in the doors - quite possibly one of the main reasons the regulators fail!

qwerty321

Qwerty has/had a 2.2 Laguna diesel not sure what age though... possibly an older model. Maybe he'll be along to comment later...
Glad to see I have a reputation, not so glad that its linked with Renault. :laugh:

Although I dont have any direct experience with the Megane, my Dad has the Grand Scenic which is based on the Megane. The only main thing we found going wrong is the window mechanisms which can fail. My Dad has had two go wrong and one on my Laguna. No other complaints with my Dad's Scenic though, its a 1.6 petrol but everything else has been great.

Its the one common thing I have heard that can and does go wrong but not much else really.

I regret not going for a 1.5 diesel Megane myself, heard good things about the engine and two guys at work love it as well. Same engine used in the Qashqai as well I think. If FZR can step in, I know he has had good experiences with the 1.5 dCi engine.

SanPedro

I don't think there are any major issue with those engines, but someone else may know better!

Make sure the windows work - the regulators were a massively common failure on Meganes. And check the doors aren't full of water, if the drain holes get blocked it leads to water sitting in the doors - quite possibly one of the main reasons the regulators fail!
THIS....
My wife had an 08 1.6 petrol estate automatic. Failed windows and water in the drivers door pocket. Now I know why :laugh:

Generally reliable otherwise, but it only did 30K miles. The autobox was awful though. the car was gutless and thirsty.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
We had a Clio with the 1.5dci (86bhp) from 06-09.
Cracking little engine, streets ahead of the Ford 1.6tdci we replaced it with.
Our Clio was so cheap to run it was laughable.
Extremely good mpg, free servicing as part of the deal, £20 roadtax and <£200 insurance fully comp.
No problems with it in 3 years either, it was the most reliable car we've had.
Even a Honda we owned had one fault in its time with us.
:)

archie2000

Thanks for all the replies guys.
In the end he decided against it as there are a lot of poor reviews, particularly regarding the electrics. Although the engine gets a good write-up to be fair.
He's now looking for a Mondeo estate, and as I've had 5 Mondeo's over the years, I reckon I can advise him with this one........ :D

FZR400RRSP

Banned
archie2000 said:
He's now looking for a Mondeo estate, and as I've had 5 Mondeo's over the years, I reckon I can advise him with this one........ :D
just to illustrate why personal experience can taint your view, my BIL's latest model Mondeo 2.0tdci auto has been a nightmare.
Extract from his Facebook a few weeks back

"day 42 without my car"

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom