Used PS4 question

remotecontrol

Novice Member
Hi, quick question from a novice PS4 user. I bought a 'used' PS4 (from ebay UK) which was described as 'opened - never used', however, when I launched it and went through the set pages it finally hit the screen asking who was using the controller and there were two options: 'new user' or an avatar with a profile name.

There were also 25 notifications dating back to Christmas 2016, including friend requests, games installed and party invites. Presumably this means the console has been used, and for 4 years?

Should have just bought a new one I guess..

Thanks very much for any insight.
Phil

ssbib

Distinguished Member
Sounds like it. It’s definitely been used if there’s a profile on there already. I don’t THINK the notifications would show backdated like that if he only signed in yesterday to test it or anything. Where did you buy it from?

Edit: just saw you said you got it from eBay.

Last edited:

Toasty

Distinguished Member
Well you have a good case for a return as it clearly is used. Otherwise you may want to factory reset and start fresh with your account, previous 'owner' clearly forgot to do that..

Just planting a seed, could it be stolen? I know I wouldn't want anyone poking around my account if I sold on a console..

realfrankturner

Distinguished Member
I would message the seller and kick up a bit of a fuss, try and get some money back, tho no doubt they will play dumb as they sound rather dumb to sell it as never used and not even wipe it.

Also need to check it isn't banned from PSN or anything.

Get Ebay involved if you don't get anywhere with the seller.

Might be worth wiping it and keeping it though if it all works and try and get some money off, but that depends on how much you paid, was it a good deal or close to brand new price anyway?

If close to brand new price I would be kicking off.

remotecontrol

Novice Member
Sounds like it. It’s definitely been used if there’s a profile on there already. I don’t THINK the notifications would show backdated like that if he only signed in yesterday to test it or anything. Where did you buy it from?
Cheers for the reply.

Yeah, looks like it was a Christmas present as the first notification (followed by many more) is 25/12/2016. Funny though as the notifications all disappeared after I looked through some other screens.. fortunately I took pics of all the notifications though and his avatar profile is still showing. I bought it from ebay.

remotecontrol

Novice Member
Well you have a good case for a return as it clearly is used. Otherwise you may want to factory reset and start fresh with your account, previous 'owner' clearly forgot to do that..

Just planting a seed, could it be stolen? I know I wouldn't want anyone poking around my account if I sold on a console..
Thanks for the reply.

It's a bit weird because it wasn't logged into an account, it just gave the option to be his 'user' (see pic) - when I clicked on his avatar it took me to the home page (with all the options) and that's when I noticed the 25 notifications dating back to 2016. But I had to log into my account for every option so it wasn't actually in his account..

I'll definitely be asking for a refund. I guess it could be stolen but I messaged them because the deliver was late and they replied with a tracking number so seems like a genuine sale.

Attachments

• IMG_2120.JPG
    IMG_2120.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 39

remotecontrol

Novice Member
I would message the seller and kick up a bit of a fuss, try and get some money back, tho no doubt they will play dumb as they sound rather dumb to sell it as never used and not even wipe it.

Also need to check it isn't banned from PSN or anything.

Get Ebay involved if you don't get anywhere with the seller.

Might be worth wiping it and keeping it though if it all works and try and get some money off, but that depends on how much you paid, was it a good deal or close to brand new price anyway?

If close to brand new price I would be kicking off.
Cheers for the reply.

I'll definitely try to get a refund or part refund and involve ebay if the seller refuses to pay up. I paid £188 (plus £7 postage) because I believed it to be in new condition - so nearly £200. I know a new one with a game or two comeis in at £250-260 so I should have just paid the extra but lesson learned!

Yeah, I'll try to keep it and wipe it if I do keep it but the refund is my main objective now.

realfrankturner

Distinguished Member
Cheers for the reply.

I'll definitely try to get a refund or part refund and involve ebay if the seller refuses to pay up. I paid £188 (plus £7 postage) because I believed it to be in new condition - so nearly £200. I know a new one with a game or two comeis in at £250-260 so I should have just paid the extra but lesson learned!

Yeah, I'll try to keep it and wipe it if I do keep it but the refund is my main objective now.

Yeah I'd be going for a refund too in that case, nearly £200 for a used one is quite a lot.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom