• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Used plasma's. ST30 Vs. ST50

Ossie77

Established Member
So the great era of Panasonic plasma's has sadly come to an end.

This inevitably means a few of us will be hunting around to get a decent and recent used model.

I have found two which I'm interested in; a 46" ST30 and a 50" ST50.

The 46" would be the perfect size for my living room but I am aware that the ST50 offers a significantly better improvement in picture quality.

I had a 42" ST60 but stupidly sold it to get some funds for a holiday. I know, I know I'm an idiot!
I never realised it was possible to miss a TV so much. Big mistake. Anyway, I absolutely loved being able to dim the lights and not have to worry about loss of contrast and black levels.

Would the ST30 offer a similar viewing experience to the ST60 or would it be massively inferior?

I have checked reviews and it seem the ST30 has slightly less accurate colours, less calibration options and poorer black levels compared to the ST50. Trouble is a 50" plasma really dominates a room.

ST30 or ST50?

NB. The other option is to wait for a 42" ST60 or ST50 to pop up but I'm not hopeful. I mean, who would want to sell one of those?!

Another option might be a cheap and cheerful F5000 or more expensive H6400 as they have directly lit backlighting. But this would be last resort.

Thanks.

PS. I have quite a bright room so for the occasional day time viewing I have heard that the ST30 isn't very bright and might have an inferior anti-glare filter to the ST50/ST60. Something else to consider!

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom