Used mini-DV for under $100?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Backus, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Backus

Backus
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey everyone,
    I'm looking at getting into shooting video for a youtube channel and I was wondering which camcorder I should buy. I like the sound of shooting on mini-DV as my Thinkpad t61 has a firewire port and I understand they're bang for your buck.

Which used camcorder would you recommend buying in 2017? I hear wonderful things about the canon hv40- what should I be willing to pay and where should I look for deals?

Thanks,
    Backus

2. chrishull3

chrishull3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Hi i still have a HV30 virtualy the same,i kept it if needed to play my mini dv tapes,i am surprised you are thinking of using tape in this day and age,the only way you could get one is second hand,my HV30 was as fairly good little tape cam,but get a used card cam now would be my advise.

3. Terfyn

Terfyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +248
    My HV20 is also "on standby" (and dusted occasionally) but I would add a warning. One of the reasons I upgraded to card was the mechanical drive wear and the degradation of the tapes. Take Chris's advice and move up to card. A second hand DV camcorder may not be the best buy.

You would do better to look at some of last year's models. (or before) I still run a Panasonic HC-V700 (2011) and my 750 was bought in 2014. I suggest you look around for "replaced" models but test before you buy.

4. 12harry

12harry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +390
    Good advice.. SDHC-Card-based is the way to go, but you might check about Video-Editing if you are using Mac. Most folks here use PC-Windows, which has become the modern de-facto PC for most things. ((Although the Others love their Macs)). Mac software, although excellent, can be very costly and you may only need the basics, to start with.

You should define what skills you will bring to YouTube and then determine what camcorder/set-up you need. Obviously there will be a learning-curve ( anyone that thinks it's easy to make watchable Vids is fooling ).

The Pana 700 series are good camcorders and should be at excellent prices now. However, you need to budget for memory-cards, replacement batteries, Tripod and possibly the creation of a "Set" -( so your viewers are looking at you, rather than distractions elsewhere.).
    If it's outdoors/daylight, this solves many problems. . . . except audio, since microphones will pick up anything that's about. If indoors, you may have to buy some lights - there are plenty of "kits" on offer that will be a good starting-point.
    When you buy the camcorder..... ask if the Seller has any advice, to help you along?
    -They may be willing to assist if it's an interesting Demonstration / Project you propose.

Good Luck.