Used laptop buying advice

elsmandino

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi there.

Just before lockdown, my wife's company were good enough to lend her a laptop for general use (i.e. for my children to borrow for home schooling) and it was so good that I ended up borrowing it and got rid of my old desktop PC - we never did have the room for it to begin with and the energy savings seem to be significant.

The issue, now, is the laptop may have to be returned within the next couple of months and so I need to think about buying one.

I am looking for something used and have a few initial questions:

1. Is it worth risking somewhere like Ebay or should I stick with refurbished laptop sellers only?

2. Which CPU route should I go down? From what I have read, Intel upped their game on mobile from Gen 8, so I should try and get at least this if I go that route.

3. Any particular models or makes to consider? Seems that Lenovo Thinkpads seem to get consistently good results as used devices.

Hey, would be glad to help.
  1. When it comes to buying a used laptop, there are always risks involved. While sites like eBay can offer a wider range of options, they do come with a higher level of uncertainty. To mitigate those risks, you may want to consider purchasing from a reputable refurbished laptop seller.
  2. Choosing the right CPU largely depends on your needs. If you plan to use your laptop for basic tasks like browsing the internet and word processing, a Gen 8 Intel processor should suffice. However, if you plan to do more demanding tasks like video editing or gaming, you may want to consider a higher-end CPU. It's always a good idea to research the specific requirements for the tasks you plan to perform and make your decision based on that information.
  3. When it comes to specific models or brands, Lenovo Thinkpads are often recommended as reliable and durable used laptops. Other top brands to consider include Dell, HP, and Apple. Ultimately, the right choice depends on your specific needs and preferences.

Last edited by a moderator:
I received a refurbished Windows 11 Thinkpad for my son yesterday from an Ebay shop, only 14'' but fine for his work. It was in great condition, not a spot or scratch on it.
I agree about buying from a reputable refurbisher, this one had a one year guarantee.

Order.png

@Missyeight you may want to edit your address out of that picture
Thanks but I did edit it already, maybe not enough ? I think it may be hard to locate me with Abbey Road London NW8, I also edited the order number. But again thanks for the concern.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom