Question Used Bang & Olufsen Question....

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by linesmachine, Sep 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. linesmachine

linesmachine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks in advance for any help with this dilemma as I'm a bit stuck.

I've built a new room on the side of my house. It's 8m x 7.5m so relatively large. My wife and I have gone for a simple, slightly retro styling (don't ask, she's a designer!) and I'm tasked with putting together a stereo.

I've been offered a Beomaster 7000 (pristine, £175) and a pair of Beovox C75's (£50) which in prinicple look the part. The problem is am I just setting myself up for tech failure? Would I be better off looking at investing £300/£400 in a new amp and speaker set up?

Has anyone got any experience of these two units? Has anyone any idea of the audio quality?

2. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,447
    No comment on sound quality but the age would worry me, especially with the speakers. They must be some 35 years old now & from a time when it was common to use foam as a suspension material. This is very prone to perishing so they'd need careful inspection with the grilles off.

All electronics suffer with age but not necessarily terminally. Again the receiver is around 25 years old so unlikely to be giving of it's best.

3. linesmachine

linesmachine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for the response. The C75s are notorious for foam rot but I can fix that relatively cheaply, I'm going to look at them over the weekend so will report back.

In terms of the receiver. I guess I'm kind of asking...would I be better off spending £175 on a NEW amp?

4. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,447
    Not sure I can help further as like I said, I don't know the B&O. If it were me I'd probably go for something new in silver for a retro look, but £175 is a little low. Is this going to be for serious listening or just background?