Used Arcam FMJ37 Cd or New Marantz CD6007

Charles44

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have a dilemma - there is an Arcam FMJ CD 37 for sale on an Auction site that interests me but I can't make my mind up over which of the two in the thread tile to go for. I have a Marantz CD6006 and had an Arcam CD192 some years ago - I can't make my mind up which way to go. I like how my Marantz sounds and I remember the CD192 was a cut above other Arcam cd players at the time. I just need some objective comments please about choice.

That Arcam player dates from 2008 so if it were me I would go for the Marantz with a 2 year warranty.

I wouldn't swap a 6006 for a 6007. That's a sidestep at best.

Double the money you spent on the 6006 as a starting point.

I wouldn't swap a 6006 for a 6007. That's a sidestep at best.

Double the money you spent on the 6006 as a starting point.
It is not a swap, its's for a second cd player. "Double the money" - for what ?

It is not a swap, its's for a second cd player. "Double the money" - for what ?
To get better than a 6006 or the new 6007 you would have to double the money of a new unit to hear any significant improvement is what @Hixs is saying and I agree with him. The 6006 is one of the best sub £500 players ever produced. Had the Arcam been a new player at it's original £1000 price point then it would have been a real improvement as it's also a SACD player and they, as a rule, do make a better job of reading redbooks as well.

The question now is just how good a condition and at what asking price is the Arcam and do you want to take a chance on what must be a player of at least ten years of age. If it's anywhere near the same price as a new Marantz then I'd rather take the comfort of a good warranty.

To get better than a 6006 or the new 6007 you would have to double the money of a new unit to hear any significant improvement is what @Hixs is saying and I agree with him. The 6006 is one of the best sub £500 players ever produced. Had the Arcam been a new player at it's original £1000 price point then it would have been a real improvement as it's also a SACD player and they, as a rule, do make a better job of reading redbooks as well.

The question now is just how good a condition and at what asking price is the Arcam and do you want to take a chance on what must be a player of at least ten years of age. If it's anywhere near the same price as a new Marantz then I'd rather take the comfort of a good warranty.
Good advice, thanks the prices are about the same so the warranty is clearly an advantage. Thanks, any suggestions at circa £800 which is about double.

Good advice, thanks the prices are about the same so the warranty is clearly an advantage. Thanks, any suggestions at circa £800 which is about double.
I've owned a Marantz cd6006. I now use the Marantz sa8005 in my main system. Although they shared the same Cirrus Logic DAC the sa8005 was the superior player because of it's SACD credentials and better analogue circuits. So that is what you are looking for the analogue side is very important. The sa8005 was three times the cost when new, now unavailable.

I also have a Denon DCD 2500 NE currently in my headphone system and that player is even better than the sa8005. It is superb, built like a tank and weights 13.7kg. Originally released at £2000 I've noticed this player for £999. Whether it's an open box or not I don't know but would certainly be worth a phone call. Most suppliers quote between £1500 and £1800.

The same dealer also has the 2500's little brother the 1600 NE at a very good price, £599 compared to £999 for a new unit. Again this is a very good machine and very much superior to the Marantz and likely the used Arcam as well. Both are SACD players and come with Denon's excellent AL32+ processor.

I've owned a Marantz cd6006. I now use the Marantz sa8005 in my main system. Although they shared the same Cirrus Logic DAC the sa8005 was the superior player because of it's SACD credentials and better analogue circuits. So that is what you are looking for the analogue side is very important. The sa8005 was three times the cost when new, now unavailable.

I also have a Denon DCD 2500 NE currently in my headphone system and that player is even better than the sa8005. It is superb, built like a tank and weights 13.7kg. Originally released at £2000 I've noticed this player for £999. Whether it's an open box or not I don't know but would certainly be worth a phone call. Most suppliers quote between £1500 and £1800.

The same dealer also has the 2500's little brother the 1600 NE at a very good price, £599 compared to £999 for a new unit. Again this is a very good machine and very much superior to the Marantz and likely the used Arcam as well. Both are SACD players and come with Denon's excellent AL32+ processor.

Not so good reviews for this outlet.

Despite its age, the Arcam will outperform the Marantz.

The only issue, as mentioned, is it’s age and the availability of a transport mech for the Arcam if it does go wrong.

The Denon 1600, as gibbsy says is an excellent player and the best long term bet without worrying about an older players reliability.

Unless of course you can find a 2500 close to your budget, then your laughing.

But don’t let him persuade you into the money pit of SACDs... you’ll never recover :laugh:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom