Question Use Sony BDV N590 with new amp, speakers etc

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by phookoo, Jun 30, 2015.

1. phookoo

phookoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Hi folks

Hopefully a quick and easy one - I have a Sony BDV-N590 home theatre system, and while I love the playback quality of the Sony system for blu rays, 3D etc, I'm interested in upgrading the quality of the sound performance I get.

Now, I'm not going to have a great deal of cash, and the new house I'm moving to won't be optimised for a home theatre any more than my current lounge is - I'll be able to position the speakers in the right areas, but that's about it. So my questions are;

1) Can I use the player of the set up solely as a player and use an external amp to control the sound? This might be a ridiculous question to ask, but both of my home setups have been out-of-the-box systems, so I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to seperates

2) I look at the range of seperates bundle options on Richer Sounds & am a bit overwhelmed - I've heard of good amp makes, but I don't know if the £299 bundle is fantastic or if the £599 bundle is the very bottom of what I should look for. Obviously I want a reasonably substantial improvement from what the N590 offers, but any advice on what level that puts me at/bundle sugestions?

Thanks in advance!

2. citywalker

citywalker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    1) You can't connect HTIB to amp
    2) 600 and more sounds real. Depends, what bundle is that. But to get some decent sound to start, at least 1000 and more should be spend. Of course it depends...

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,568
    If the soon to be released Ultra HD Blu-ray medium is going to be of interest to you and assuming you don't change kit too often you may want to consider holding out until early 2016 (when UHD BD Systems will start to appear) before you make a purchase!

BDV-N590 - like kureke I suspect you are looking at the top end of the indicated budget range before you make a meaningful upgrade in audio performance. You can use the 'head unit' of your system as the Source into a new Amp - though that would seem an odd move when BD Players can be had for very little outlay.

Room - no matter how much you spend on an Amp and Speakers if the speakers are not optimised for 5.1 playback within your room you are never going to get the best performance out of the system.

Your best upgrade may be assessing how best to optimise the current system.

Joe