1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

use S-video switching?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ddp1960, Apr 21, 2002.

1. ddp1960

ddp1960

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I picked up a pretty good deal on a Yamaha rx-v420 as my first home theatre system. Now I am looking and realize that I can get rid of my RCA audio video switch box and use the s-video swithcing capabilities of the next higher model the 520. ( my 420 only has composite video switching).

My dealer says that it is not good to switch the video signals in the reciever and I am better off with a un powered manual s-video switch box, and not to switch video in a receiver.

So this would mean a manual step each time, or to use the composite input to my s-video capable tv.

Is ther any real issue with switching video in the reciever, does it add noise and drop signal strength? or am I being sold a song.

The model 520 or 620 are getting hard to find so I am not sure if I should waste my time looking?

This years Yamaha models would require me to get the model 730 in order to get the required inputs and multi room output.
    Or I can get a ggo deal on a Sony strde1075

Help please!!!!!

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Fire the dealer. I don't think you will be able to tell the difference between the AV amp doing the switching or the manual switch box, even with a direct connection you may not notice at all.

So no worries and remember, S-Video is a giant step ahead of composite.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Scientifically it must degrade the signal as anything in the signal path would degrade the signal but is it noticeable to normal mortals - I doubt it

I don't use the video switching as I use RGB for Sky and DVD player direct to TV and have nothing else that outputs an s-video signal.

4. mike greenslade

mike greenslade
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Take-it you havent got a AV Amp then? I use Scart to Phonos(Amp) and use the Amp to do my Video Switching, no problem with any loss! Also Scart(Rgb) from Dvd to Rgb Scart on TV.

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If I am not mistaken most S-Video in-/outputs are active, i.e. any signal strength loss is compensated for.
    Well, it must be active if you can see the OSD via the S-Video out.

6. ddp1960

ddp1960

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    active s-video, then that might explain a possible injection of noise on the signal, if the circuitry was not up to good standards. That may be why he is saying to use a mechanical switch.
    forget that I need to make this system simple for the wife and kids to use.