Use S-video instead of RGB Scart & component - noticeable difference?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Matt_C, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,832
    Right, here are the items I have to plug into my TV (with list of possible connections)

Freeview PVR (RGB scart, composite RCA)
    DVD player (component, RGB scart, svideo, composite RCA)
    PC (s-video)
    PS2 (component, composite)

Here are the inputs of my TV

1x RGB scart
    2x svideo/composite scart
    1x component

Here's how it is hooked up right now;

Freeview - RGB scart
    DVD - component*
    PC - s-video
    PS2 - component*

Problem is, I have to swap the PS2 and DVD component inputs over when I want to use one or the other, which is not fun and will probably result in problems with either the leads or the inputs on the TV somepoint in the future.... So not ideal.

Sadly my amp doesn't do component switching (damn you Sony) but it does do s-video switching....

So..... Would I notice a big difference using s-video for all devices into the amp, and a single s-video from amp to TV?

The only problem I can see here is the PVR - I know it can do RGB scart and CvBS (composite) over it's scart connection, as thats what's in the set up menu, but no idea if it will support s-video..... Idea's?

I could input the Ps2 via composite to the TV (or amp) instead of component, but it's much nicer in component - colours are better and the "gui" in games (like in Gran Turismo for example, the dash clocks and gear selector indicator are much clearer and easier to read with component)

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Does your Freeview box have 2 scart sockets on the back? If so, you could loop the DVD player through this using RGB scart which would leave the component input free for your PS2.

Otherwise, S-video isn't the end of the world for DVD although you would lose progressive scan if that's enabled. I guess you have an S-video cable for your PC so why not give it a go? :)

3. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    Your options would really be to compromise the video quality, spend say £50-£70 on switchbox (JS tech component) and cables or sell your current amp and buy a 2nd hand amp that supports component switching. I would go with the latter option as there are bargains galore on ebay etc. at the moment as loads of people are offloading perfectly good high end amps in favour of amps with HDMI. The difference between RGB and Component isn't that much TBH, so also consider using that for one of your sources.

I can't really commend on the reduction in quality by using S-Video as it's not really a connection I ever really used. I did use it for my very first Toshiba SD-500e DVD player hooked up to my old 25" CRT and TBH, the pic looked great TBH but then again, most pics do look okay on CRT! The differences are more subtle on CRT compared with new flat panels where you can spot massive night-and-day differences between signal types IMHO. I guess it would be a case of trying it and see but I would definitely consider upgrading your amp for not much money.

4. qwerty1234

qwerty1234
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    i'd use a scart switching box and leave the ps2 on component.

5. Hammo67

Hammo67
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Assuming your Freeview has two scart sockets, connect the PS2 to the Freeview box using RGB scart, should be a nice clean image.

I daisy chain my PS2 to my DVD recorder to my Sky+ box all via RGB scart and it work s fine!

6. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,832
    With my TV being CRT, it doesn't do prog scan anyway - the only reason I am using component for the DVD player is so that the Freeview box could occupy the RGB scart socket on the TV.

I tried daisy-chaining the DVD player into the Freeview box and then Freeview box into the TV but it doesn't work. Both the scart sockets on the Freeview box are makred as outputs, so maybe this is why? But either way, it didn't work :(

I don't really wanna get into changing the amp again as it took me best part of a year, and five amps to find one I am happy with (userbility, sound quality etc) The one I had with component switching (a Yamaha model I bought and then sold on here) was great as it upconverted composite and s-video sources and output them through the component outputs, but since a) I only had one component input and one s-video input at the time (and didn't want to run Freeview in composite mode) I didn't bother using it. Shame my Sony doesn't have this feature!!!!

7. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    In this case, and to retain simplicity, I'd put either Freeview or DVD (depending on which one you use the most) through the RGB connection, and the other through the S-Video connection.

Technically the S-vid won't be as good but the difference between ScartRGB and S-vid is surprisingly small whilst composite looks much poorer than all of the other connection types.

Basically, no. Although you will notice a difference. Sometimes, simplicity comes at a cost. :)

8. Jamie

Jamie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,368
    Agree with this. Some years ago I got a S-VHS lead for my PS2 (also a sony amp with S-VHS switching and the RGB scart on my CRT used for DVD)

The difference was like night and day and I was well happy. I borrowed a RGB scart lead for the PS2 from a mate and it wasn't any better than the S-VHS (well not by a large noticeable difference anyway)

RGB is technically better than S-SVHS but in practice is not always that noticeable, certainly not the big differences you'll get junking composite.

9. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    I'd get the JS box. Barely touches the image, is only 50 quid, and is automatic.

10. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,832
    Well, I just plugged my DVD player into TV using the S-vid lead I had my PC connected by, and whats great is my DVD player outputs both component and s-vid (and composite) at the same time, so all I have to do is switch TV inputs using the remote - so I was able to compare side by side s-vid against component, and to be truthfull, there was very little discernable difference. Colour was a tad richer on component, but I couldn't tell any clarity or sharpness loss or gain.

The only thing I can't try (as I only have one s-vid lead) is what it looks like going through the AVR.... So I'll get a lead for this first, hook up DVD player to AVR then onto TV, and compare again, if it's still same as now, I'll go with it - which will see;

Freeview - RGB scart (and audio) into TV - usefull cos I don't always want amp on for plain TV viewing
    DVD - s-video (switched by amp, audio to amp only)
    HTPC - s-video (switched by amp, audio to amp only)
    PS2 - component (audio to amp only)

and I can still have a composite lead running from my AVR to my TV so I can connect temp stuff like VCR's, digital camera's, ipod, etc to the AVR and onto the TV...

Such a shame my Sony doesn't do component switching tho :( Would be sorted already if it did!

11. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,832
    Well, decided to buy a couple leads - s-vid to s-vid (DVD to AVR) and s-vid to Scart (AVR monitor out to TV) however the numpty selling the s-vid to scart lead (which although it was listed as scart to s-vid, as most are, did say it was for "PC to TV") sent me one for the opposite direction flow - so I got a scart > to > s-vid lead! No good!!!

ONe plus has come from it - I found out my Freeview box outputs RGB/S-vid/CvBS from the main scart out, and S-vid/CvBS from the VCR scart out - so with the cable I was sent I could connect my Freeview box to the AVR aswell and have all three of my main source devices video switching on the AVR :)

Will think about that one as if I do that, I will eliminate the audio from the FV box to the TV, meaning I have to use the amp - the way I had it was RGB over scart from FV box to TV, with seperate audio RCA's to the AVR - so I could just switch on FV box and TV and have picture and audio, and then switch on the AVR to get better/louder/2.1 audio from that....

Quality wise, again, very difficult to see any difference between the RGB scart connection and the s-vid connection... Surprising really as I pressumed RGB scart to be much better than S-vid....

12. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208