Use Pace V3 Sky+ for FTV without HDD connected

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Rob100, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    I have recently picked up a V3 Pace Sky+ box and have ordered a £20 card from Sky to give me 4,5 etc.

I had hoped that I could disconnect the HDD as I obviously can't use the "+" functions. However I have disconnected the HDD (both power and data) and when I start the box up the red power LED goes off and back on again every few seconds - I assume this is the unit re-booting because the HDD hasn't spun up?

I have also tried switching off instand rewind etc in the Sky+ setup menu in the hope the HDD might spin down after a few minutes, but it would seem not :thumbsdow

What happens to Sky+ users if/when the HDD packs up - do you loose the ability to even watch Sky???

Any ideas :lease:

Thanks,

Rob.

2. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287

The HDD must be working for the box to work, even if Sky+ features are not enabled.

Gav

3. avinitski

avinitski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    you can still use the recording function with one aerial cable going in the box, you just cant record and watch a different channel, thats all.

4. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Okay thanks. That's crazy if you ask me...

Anyway, if the Sky+ box only needs to see a hard drive to make it work I was wondering if one of these with a 1GB (or less) CF card in would "keep it happy".

If possibly I would prefer not to have the HDD connected to reduce heat and noise, especially when I am not using it.

Has anyone tried anything like this before?

Rob.

5. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Just been playing some more and I've found that as long as I power the box up (plug mains in) with the HDD power connected and wait for the box to see the HDD and then spin down I can removed the power connector and the box then works fine even taking it in and out of standby.

So probably my best (cheapest) bet is to fit a switch on the back of the box to break the +12/+5v power to the HDD. So in the event of a power cut/blip I can flick the switch to get the box working again and then flick again to power off the HDD.

Rob.

6. avinitski

avinitski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    why go through all this hassle? i really dont them too noisey and heat sudnt really be an issue.

you can still record programmes if your out for eaxmple.

7. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,335
    Beware the power spikes may fry your motherboard/power supply.

Why not sell the complete box on ebay and buy a standard one you should be able to make a profit on it.

8. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Not without a Sky+ subscription...

9. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Because I need a box that will output RGB when powered up using the power button (rather than pressing "Sky") and more important will output RGB when powered up by a magic eye. I have two standard boxes and when both are powered up by a magic eye the TV output only outputs composite (I think it's actually the case that the RGB signal is there, but pin 16 is not activated so the TV treats the signal as composite).

Rob.

10. FRANTIC FRANC

FRANTIC FRANC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    There is no RGB though the RF output, only through the scart on your TV's RGB enabled scart socket on the TV. Pressing the TV button on the main TV's remote simply puts the first TV back onto PAL mode (Sky puts it back to RGB). This is not affected on the link TV's although it will switch the aspect ratio over on the main TV (if 16:9 and 4:3 on the second).
    There is no difference how this works between the Sky+ and the standard box.
    Cheers, Franc

p.s. If you want a trade for a Panasonic or Sony let me know;)