Use old Sky Viewing Card as FreeSatFromSky Card

mountfa

Novice Member
Hi,

Have got a new 1TB Sky HD box to replace my slowly dying original thompson box.
Ive relocated the old box to a spare room and currently have it receiving the FTA channels.

Ive heard the old Sky viewing cards (the white ones) can be used as freesat from sky cards to enable you to get the few FTV channels as well as the FTA ones.

I have got hold of a relatives old viewing card after they cancelled their subscription, would sky pair that card to my spare box and let me use it as a freesat card or not?

Last edited:

logiciel

It might work already. If it doesn't there's nothing you can do with it.

mountfa

Novice Member
It doesnt work for the FTV channels at the moment (C5 etc) it just says that the card is not registered to the box, hence the question as to if its likely Sky would pair it to my box or if they wouldnt becuase it was an old subscription card rather than an actual freesat card.

logiciel

I don't think they would, though of course there's no harm in asking them.
It's best to refer to a FreeSatFromSky card, for anyone new to Freesat who would wonder why something free needs a card.;)

sep8001

I had to pay 20pounds to get a new card. They paired the card my box.

No harm in calling and asking.

Delh68

Just leave the card in the box, & it should 'wake up' eventually giving you access to channel 5 (may take a couple of hrs, or a couple of days depending on them sending out the signal) & any other FTV channels. No need to pair it.
This assumes you are talking about the white sky card, & not the old blue one with the yellow house

Last edited:

logiciel

The FSFS card costs £25 but some people have got one by ordering instead the £20 "replacement" card.
I agree that the old card ought to work without any activation.

Hi,

I have got hold of a relatives old viewing card after they cancelled their subscription, would sky pair that card to my spare box and let me use it as a freesat card or not?
If you were to call them up and say that you are replacing a faulty box, I should see no reason why not. I did this for my mum when her receiver legitimately died. I bought a replacement from eBay and when I delivered it to her, I phoned the number on the back of the card and explained what I was doing. They asked me to fire-up the new receiver, quote some numbers from one of the system pages along with the number from the card and they promptly sorted it out.

mountfa

Novice Member
Thanks for the advice folks, I rang sky and they said they would not pair the card due to it being registered to a different address.
Not to worry though im sure i can live with the absense of C5 etc.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom