Use of wipes for transitions...?

JohnARoberts

Hi to everyone on the forum :)

I'm starting my first video project after a 15 year break and I want to show a passage of time, several times during the course of the video. It's a documentary showing me constructing something and in the main the shots will be, for example, showing me starting to paint a component, then the next shot would be from exactly the same viewpoint, the component painted and having the next stage of work done to it, say drilling. Likewise, I would like to show the drilling of one hole, but not the other 300 so I would need to cut out 'time.'

In the past I would've considered the use of an obvious wipe, say right to left, or even (if I could find one) a circular sweeping similar to a clock hand to transition between one sequence and the next. Am I making sense?

My question is, what is the current vogue for showing a jump in time for videos such as this? Are wipes still valid in 2011? I don't require anything 'arty' because it's an informative video, not fiction.

Many thanks in anticipation - John

senu

Distinguished Member
Hi to everyone on the forum :)

I'm starting my first video project after a 15 year break and I want to show a passage of time, several times during the course of the video. It's a documentary showing me constructing something and in the main the shots will be, for example, showing me starting to paint a component, then the next shot would be from exactly the same viewpoint, the component painted and having the next stage of work done to it, say drilling. Likewise, I would like to show the drilling of one hole, but not the other 300 so I would need to cut out 'time.'

In the past I would've considered the use of an obvious wipe, say right to left, or even (if I could find one) a circular sweeping similar to a clock hand to transition between one sequence and the next. Am I making sense?

My question is, what is the current vogue for showing a jump in time for videos such as this? Are wipes still valid in 2011? I don't require anything 'arty' because it's an informative video, not fiction.

Many thanks in anticipation - John

Fades and wipes never go out of fashion, you do infact often have far too many in The Editors today , you often have to be very discerning
you can of course just do a clean cut or use a still or 3 fade to these and then fade back to video ( or a combination of all 3)

JohnARoberts

Thanks for that senu :)

I wanted to avoid a clean cut because the camera will be mounted on a tripod and usually have exactly the same viewpoint before and after the work (although the item being worked might have moved) and this could look like a poor edit or a jump cut.

Likewise, I'm not a lover of stills, to me they always look 'obvious' but I accept their use of there is no other means of either getting or extending a shot. I'm under no such restrictions, fortunately :)

I would probably use a wipe but will stick to just the one style, something quite simple, used throughout. I just wondered whether it was the kind of things that was frowned upon these days!

Regards - John

senu

Distinguished Member
No its not , infact less is better as often times it is easy to go mad using transitions.. something lots of newbees love to do( we've all been there!)
However it may be monotonous if the camcorder is only one view point, and there is only one single fade type transition
Stills are obvious but skillfully used may add to rather than take from a decent edit
I guess the obvious answer is , whatever works for you in this particular project
A short montage with music rather than videos own soundtrack can be used to " bridge" 2 Time events with good results.. Just my tuppence worth!

JohnARoberts

Thanks again for the reminders, senu :)

Yes I agree about the camera viewpoint but I'm going to try and vary as many of the angles that I can, also use cutaways and a smattering of shots of me talking to camera to break it all up a little. Most of the shots I anticipate I need wipes for are fairly short and 'busy' and I anticipate using the same camera angle for each 'before' and 'after' view, but vary the view for as many different sets of 'before' and 'after' as I can. It's taking some working out, I can tell you!

I think I'm just going to have to fire up my ancient software and see what wipes I have available!

Regards - John :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom