1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Use of Banannas

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by HiFiFan, Aug 24, 2004.

1. HiFiFan

HiFiFan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Heheh, no, not the fruit, but the plugs for speaker terminals..:D

I am the proud owner of a new Sony TA-DA9000ES (same as STR-DA9000ES minus triggers, DVI switching, tuner and IR ports) and would like to use Bananna plugs for speaker wire connection.

My previous amp had small rubber blanking plugs in the back of the terminals easily removed by prising with a finger nail; the new unit has some smaller type blanking plugs, T-shape in cross section, and hollow, but still pushed into the rear of the terminal, albeit smaller, and recessed in the plastic clamping knob, and hence not easily prised out.

Does anyone know the purpose of these blanking plugs? A knowledgeable friend opinioned that it ws to prevent a certain type of power plug used in some markets being inserted accidentally into the speaker terminals.

The other thought is that the new amp, with it's modular motherboard/daughterboard arrangement, is not seemingly as sturdy re the back panel as my previous amp, more like a computer really. I'm a mite concerned re the strength point with the additional leverage a speaker wire hanging off the end of a Bananna plug would put on the terminal v's a bare wire wrapped around the terminal post, and clamped near the back panel of the amp, where the terminal post would be at it's most supported/strongest.

Could anyone please comment?

I intend installing it over the next few days, and would like to have some concrete knowledge of the best way to go about this before commencing, as I would prefer to use Bannanna plugs if at all possible.

Many thanks

Cheers

John...:)

2. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The back of your amp (especially as it's a top end one) should have no problems with the weight of banana plugs. If it did I would throw it away immediately and buy another amp!

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Well the way I heard it was similar to this.
    In Europe the power sockets are very similar to those that accept banana plugs. Therefore they are illegal (i think) throughout a lot of the EU to stop a child (or stupid adult :devil: ) unplugging the speaker cable and putting it into a power socket.

Mark.

4. Ali K

Ali K

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How should we connect the plugs to amps (specifically Yamaha) so handicapped by EU idiots? Should we just push to break the ends or is there a gentler way.

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Spade connectors!
    Or as I did with my Denon 3802, use a small screwdriver to lever the bungs out.

Mark.

6. fama

fama
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The issue of banana plugs comes up all the
    time someone was just asking about denon,
    speaker terminals are blocked off as a safety feature
    the small plastic lugs can be prised out best with a small
    jewellers type screwdriver etc

7. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Na i found the only way is brute force and ignorance with my 1400 :mad: Banana plugs are so much more efficeint than bare wires. :smashin:

8. Ali K

Ali K

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Brute force yeh :D

I am from the gorilla school of doing things myself :laugh:

So I should just push till the end caps break?

9. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    The plastic covers on the Yamaha Receivers are designed to break open if pushed hard enough with a banana plug. Most other covers are designed to be removed with a small jewellers screwdriver.

10. nsherin

nsherin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Yep - a fairly gentle press is all that's needed on Yammy kit. Didn't realise it was an EU law that they had to be blanked (not that surprised either). A local shop mentioned I'd need to press fairly firmly when I bought some new speaker cable/plugs from them a few months back. Much easier than wrestling with bare cables that can frey/oxidise.

My pet hates are spring-clips - a nightmare to feed decent cable - like QED Original into my old Sony TA-FE230 amp.

11. ash71

ash71
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just my 2 cents worth.

From memory, the EU/EEC seems to have a thing with bananas (of all types!) The fruit version sold in the UK are not curved enough (or straight enough...can't remember which) and the ones that fit into amps, as pointed out, might electrocute idiots (Darwins theory anyone?)

Arcam had an alterntive a couple of back which even they seem to have now abandoned in favour for the good old Banana plug. :smashin:

12. MI55ION

MI55ION

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    :hiya: Just wanted to say a big THANKS for that tip! :thumbsup:

It's little stuff like this that makes me proud to be an AVF memeber. :smashin:

13. rodster

rodster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If your amp has the hollow blanking plugs fitted the the terminals a woodscrew is the best thing to remove them, allow the screw to grab by a couple of threads and then the blank will pull straight out.
    :)

14. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +824
    Fantastic! Another TA-DA9000ES owner - welcome to the growing club. Sorry I missed this thread earlier. I connect speaker cables to my DA9k using 4mm banana plugs, and I don't recall any problems. IIRC the plastic inserts were smaller, and more difficult to get out, than usual. But no show-stopper.

There are so many speaker connection down there it wouls be very difficult to make bare wire connections, and I don't really trust them. I'll take another look tonight to remind myself, but I shouldn't worry about removing the inserts. A self-tapping screw may do the job if you have any problems.

How are you getting on with your amp? Best thing I ever bought, and that's saying something.

regards, Nick