1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Use my P.C or Laptop or buy a scaler?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by henry1234, Dec 27, 2002.

1. henry1234

henry1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Laptop: (Compaq Presario 900 , ATI Mobilty, 1500XP Athlon, 256DDR)
    P.C: (Geforce2MX, Soundblaster Live, 1GHz Athlon, 256mb PC133, Abit VIAKT133, Pioneer 115F 16x DVD, IBM deskstar 40GB)
    Home Cinema: (Sony S7700, Yamaha DSP 620, Rotel 985 Power Amp, B&W speakers & Sub).

Soon to purchase an NEC PG 9 projector I need to get a better quality source or add a scaler to the DVD player.

I am very happy with the current audio set-up.
    I’m happy to spend time learning to configure the P.C and I’d like this route because I think it will be cheaper and I should get the very best out of the projector.

Questions;

1. What is the minimum I need to spend on a sound card to match or better the quality of the Digital output from my Sony S7700 DVD player and what card? I think an M-Audio 2496 but I’ve seen cards for £40 with an AC-3 Digital Output or even an All-in-wonder with digital output. I’m not bothered about any decoding I just want a quality digital output.

2. I think all I need is a new sound card and graphics card for my P.C, probably a radeon 8500, but is the processor, memory and motherboard good enough to justify this route?

3. Can I use the laptop as it has a faster processor and memory, it’s also quiet and I could run a shorter cable to the projector. Would the usb M-Audio Sonica provide a clean digital AC3 output and would the mobility on board graphics be anygood once hooked up to the PG9?
    http://www.midiman.net/products/consumer/sonica_page1.php#[/URL]

2. henry1234

henry1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Now I've found something else.

I can use a HOLO3D Lite card with my existing DVD player using the component output and use the PC just for video processing. Thats means no DVD drive screaming at me and digital output from my DVD player.

Will the HOLO 3D lite card and a radeon 7500 come close to say a Centre Stage 1?

Or will a well set-up pc playing software DVD, using a sound card with Digital Out and a radeon 7500 be just as good?

3. Lighty

Lighty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    hi

i am in the same boat - scaler or pc?
    the holo card sounds interesting - what sort of price is it and where did you acquire?
    i have a radeon 8500 but its the sound issue thats bothering me - there seem to be a few good cards out there...

any advice on a digital out sound card would be greatly appreciated - i am also going to feed an av amp so decoding is not such an issue

thanks
    heres hoping

lighty

4. henry1234

henry1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    If you look on the av science forum and do a search for H3D Lite there's a whole load of info on the new card. About $650 but not released yet.

I'm finding it tough to decide on the right equipment as I've no real life experience about the sound and graphics qualities of the various cards/HTPC or seperate scalers. Add to this I have very little money to spend.