Use mobile or fixed line phone with 4g router internal sim card.

Hope someone can help as all enquiries are the 'wrong way round' for me. I want to buy a 4G router but need to know how to access the sim to make calls.
The story so far. I had a TP-Link MR600 with an normal phone card in it (60mb data unlimited texts calls) but had a problem. I could use the router software to send texts ? but even their suctomer support could not tell me how to access the sim card as a phone. I know the Huawei 525 can do this by simply plugging in a landline phone but I like the look of the Asus routers. Bottom line is with the MR600 the card calls were in a block of concrete and so wasted.
Everywhere I look I get, how to make your phone a wifi hotspot, I want the opposite.
If I can get a 4G router to work to call with the sim card I can switch from my naff landline system, so...

So using an Asus RT-AC68U as an example, it has a sim 4G sim card inside with data and unlimited calls. It has USB ports but no RJ11 only a set of RJ45 ports.
I switch it on and use PCs and tablets etc just fine. I now have no landline so want to make calls using the card in the router.
How does that work ?
Can I buy an adapter to connect a landline (analog) phone to an RJ45 port ?
Can I use an android phone with no sim to connect via wifi and make calls ?
If either of the above work then when I call out people will see the router sim number, when someone calls me on that number the connected phone will ring ?

This could well be just some setup options but I have no idea on such things. I don't want to use Skype etc as they require the other person to have that and I sometimes call landlines, I can buy a sim that gives unlimited calls to europe (where I am) mobiles and landlines so better to just use that, no software no charges.
We have mobiles but only with basic pay as you go cards with little or no data, we never use it out and about. So we will end up with 2 mobiles with basic cards to allow calls to mobiles and landlines in this country, all we need. And we will have a 4G sim with 100GB of data and unlimited european mobile and landline calls in the wifi router, this will be our 'home phone' and internet connection.

Hope I have explained correctly. Since all I can find are demos of phone hotspot setup I hope someone can say, take a no sim android mobile and set the wifi up like this, then set the router to recognise it like this and job done.

KayCS

Not sure if this is what you want but I think the way to using a landline type phone over the internet is to use a VoIP phone provider.

I’ve got Virgin Media broadband only here and ditched my landline years ago and now use a free Sipgate account with these 2 types of phone. The SIM in your router would not be used for making calls but a VoIP phone will use the SIM’s internet data connection.

(1) analogue phone adaptor like this… Cisco SPA112 2-Port Phone Adapter: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

This connect to a LAN port on your router and you connect your old landline phone to it after setting up a VoIP account with a provider.

(2) recommended

Grandstream GXP 1610 2 line 1 Account, SIP VoIP IP Phone: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

This simply connects to your router and is very much like a landline phone except the line is a CAT LAN cable.

If you use a Sipgate account, found here, https://www.sipgatebasic.co.uk to use with the above equipment they have on there site all the setting you have to input to get everything working but first thing is to get a free account and number. I think you said your not in the UK so not sure if you can use Sipgate UK but they are based in Germany so you might have to search for Sipgate.de and take it from there. BTW other VoIP providers are available but I know nothing about them.

Calls are paid for on a pay as you go basis but you can buy monthly bundles if its something you use a lot and all incoming calls are free and once you have a Sipgate number callers simply call that number from any phone from anywhere using local or international dialling code as you would do with a mobile phone and the phone connected to your router will ring just like a normal landline phone. You also have a normal dialling tone on the phone when making out going calls and using these VoIP phones there is no distinction between VoIP or landline phones and 100% reliable. Sipgate to Sipgate numbers are free to call no matter where they are in the World.

You can also use Sipgate on a mobile phone over a data connection of any type using apps but the one I use on Android called CsipSimple doesn’t show any more but there are others but I don’t know how well they work.

All this sound complicated granted but Sipgate does have a downloadable soft phone to use on a PC so you can play about with it without it costing you a penny or cent before deciding if getting a Grandstream VoIP phone hardware is worth it for you.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply.
The Sipgate rates are very reasonable, I will definitely pass them on to my neighbour. I have one person I call in the UK who is landline only, my neighbour has two aged parents who are also landline only and they have to use 4G.

I am surprised by the lack of landline / mobile to sim connectivity in these 4G routers. The benchmark seems to be the Huawei 525s which keeps it simple and is just a matter of connecting a landline phone This guy just plugs in a phone and job done.
I know Huwaei is not politically popular but their products, in this case, are ahead of the game. A case of, why not just put the option there as part of the router.

Having read reviews I like the look and spec of the Asus routers (unimpressed by TP-Link I had) so would like to use one. Again they do not seem to have this facility.

The ideal setup would be to have a 4G router with unlimited call sim accessed by a wifi only mobile phone (i.e with no sim card in it) so it is effectively a smart wireless house phone fo the router. Still can't believe there is no way to link this option to the sim card in the router. I someone can just plug in a phone as in the video and make / recieve calls using the sim card number why can't a wifi mobile.

Just thought of another option, using the Cisco SPA112 phone adapter, as this would emulate the Huawei 525 RJ11 port it should this give the same results ? That is plug this into a Lan port and then a phone into the adapter and would make, and more importantly, recieve calls via the sim card number.
Recieving calls is important as if someone calls the sim card number the phone on the adapter needs to ring.

KayCS

Well you learn something everyday as they say and yes according to that guy its a simple case of plug and play.

If it work via mobile SIM I can’t see any reason why it would not work with any SIM.

The only downside I can see is that callers are charged mobile calling rates if calling from a landline.

I wouldn’t worry about it being Huawei because its end user equipment and I can’t see the Chinese being interested in what you say to your friends or relatives unless your James Bond :) and I’ve used Huawei mobiles for years and very good they have been too for how much they cost.

Just going back to my bit about Sipgate and mobile phone apps after talking yesterday as I was a bit puzzled as to why CSipSimple app does not show up in the app store any more but checking with Sipgate they suggest you use an app called “Grandstream Wave” and I’ve tried this app on my old iPhone (works with Android too) and works very well but can’t say anything about reliability of the app in receiving calls via a landline Sipgate number + Wi-Fi + home router.

If that YouTube guy says it works with 4G routers then that might be the way to go as long as your happy or your caller happy being charged mobile rates.

Much though I like the look of the Asus routers I think it will have to be Huawei 525, just because it works out of the box. Seems an obvious thing to add to a router so a little surprised nobody else does it.
No problem with Huawei, all technologies can be used by governments. The worrying thing is governments say Huawei could end up as dodgy gateways into the systems but they are too stupid to understand what they are doing :) If another government wants to know what I order from amazon they just have to ask.

Hadn't thought of the mobile rates thing but if we ditch the landline they would have to call a mobile anyway.
Google voice rates are cheap, France to UK 1c Ireland 2c/min. Great idea, my only worry is that they may decide to drop the service in the future and you have no control over that. On the face of it I call a landline for about an hour a week, so at 2c this would be 4.80euros so no big deal.

I can see on the Asus menus (finally found them) that it shows all connected devices, tablets phones etc. I deally there would be something to say, when the sim in the router is accessed via phone call this mobile via wifi instead. Shame the router software doesen't do this, or an android app.

Just for anyone out there with a 4G sim card router, using a phone type sim card.
Can you try taking the card out of a mobile, connecting it via wifi and calling another mobile, see what number comes up. Then get that mobile to call you back and see if your sim card-less mobile rings.
If I had a router that is what I would do, just don't want to buy one as a test and find that doesen't work :)
Once more don't see why I need a voip provider if I have a sim card that allows dialling to mobile and fixed phones, mobile via wifi or fixed analogue phone via the ATA mentioned previously.
I think a lot of the confusion is because voip is expected to go via a pc, so needs a voip provider. I have a card to do that so don't need one, just that the router manufacturers won't let me ?

Last edited:

KayCS

Hi John :hiya:

Some useful information for you…

I’ve been looking to get a travel router for when I go to holiday homes so yesterday I bought a Huawei B311 that is an older, stripped down, less advanced router than the 525 and it only has one LAN/WLAN connection and one RJ45 connection for a telephone.

I’ve been testing the phone part today and this is how it works…

...I put a GiffGaff SIM that connects to 02 4G network in the router then connected a standard landline phone into the Huawei routers RJ45 port, waited a few minutes to let it do any setup it may need to do (don’t think it did any) then made a phone call to my mobile and it worked first time. Incoming calls working too.

The only thing that's complicated is the receiving and sending of SMS messages as this has to be done inside the Huawei routers User Interface via a PC browser but I don’t think your interested in messaging but calling out and receiving calls via a standard landline phone with a RJ45 plug is simple plug and play that simply uses the phone number of the SIM inserted in the router.

Hope that helps.

Chris

Thanks Chris.
There seem to be various versions of the Huawei B311 some with an anctual RJ11 port as well as the RJ45. Good to know as I can try it elsewhere.

Asus support replied as follows, basically then they are saying none of their 4G routers have the internals that allow voip. I assume from their reply that even if I plugged a phone is as you did with the Huawei 311 it would not work as the software and a small circuit are missing in the Asus.
Thank you for contacting Asus support
Not really a way around it - as VOIP requires firmware/hardware considerations, so with just an adapter it is unlikely VOIP will be able to properly work

From the above I guess Huawei are ahead of the curve and put the apppropriate software / hardware in their boxes jusr because it costs next to nothing and because they can. I am a big fan of the, better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it, approach.
Some people use them as you are with the 311 just as a holiday router, but a huge number of people buy these (as I am considering) to replace a landline based Adsl box. At that point people have a landline and are used to using home ladline phones.
The assumption being, I guess, that everybody has a mobile that they use to call so the 4G router doesen't need the facility. Not true. We have mobiles but on a pay as you go for use in emergencies etc but we are not people constantly on a mobile using the internet. A card (like in the router) costs a fair bit and we would not use it in a phone but would in a router.

I think Huawei is the way to go, why fight it :) Here in France I can get a 4G+ card with 100GB of data and unlimited calls to mobiles and landlines just about anywhere for 19.99 Euros/month with no contract. Sounds good to me as we pay 56.00 for the adsl router (5mb speeds) with international calls in the package. A significant saving and speeds can not get worse. The sim above is from 'Free' who have a 4G+ mast on a hill 3km away.

KayCS

Hi John

Sorry about that but yes the B311 has one RJ11 port and one RJ45 LAN port, I don’t often use the 11 connection and get them mixed up.

I’ve had a few hours today looking at the internal settings for B311 and it does have a section for setting up VoIP SIP accounts but I’ve tried and can’t get it to register with Sipgate but could be something as an incorrect port number but I will come back to that in the future.

No reason why a IP phone like the Grandstream’s should not work over the B311 LAN port though and I’ve read a few forums today where users have that set-up.

Chris

Last edited:

KayCS

Me again John :D

Would you believe it, I spent an hour or so this morning trying to get my Sipgate account to work with the Huawei B311.

As I said above I was going to leave it for some future date but sat down tonight to watch some TV and as I have a laptop by my TV viewing seat I thought I would try just once more and low and behold my Sipgate account is working with the B311 using a standard landline phone plug into the telephone port on the B311.

I made a couple of calls to test and it’s fine, loud and clear. Having set-up the Sipgate account with my local number the calls made through the router are with Sipgate and not the SIM.

Going by that it seems when you enter a VoIP account into the Huawei router and that account registers with your SIP servers over 3G or 4G then the number on the SIM does not work and the person receiving your call sees the VoIP number.

Not sure what happens when you ring the number link to the SIM but will experiment with that tomorrow.

Chris

It is a brave new world :)
I will definietely buy the Huawei 525 as your experiments prove that will work just fine for me, much apprecriated. Interesting that the router switches to the voip account when entered, actually very clever. I guess the idea is that it defaults to the sim card but allows for someone using it who may be using holiday type sim cards so the number could change, hence the voip account override f you have one.

For our situation I think the answer is, 525 router with the 100gb unlimited calls sim and a phone attached. We will hope to stick with the same provider but could always transfer the number if needed, as this will end up as our home number. Having texts on the router works for me as we do normal day to day texts on the mobiles.
For our mobiles everybody in the family uses whatsapp (just because they do) so basically that means they always call via that from country to country (UK, Ireland, France normally) and we can then answer. With Whatsapp via the mobile phone if I send a text and the phone is not attached to wifi the text appears when it is on wifi, any missed calls just show as missed calls so I can call back.

All in all that should work well with 4G box for internet. Whatsapp for calls to people we know, 4G box phone for those we don't (shops etc) and general mobile calls to people we don't know when out and about. It isn't so much the cost as the convenience. I just want to have the same as the current adsl setup only faster :) and the mobiles for when out and about. We use 22-30GB of data per month so well within limits.

Edited to add. On the RJ45/RJ11 question, as you can buy adapters then it should be possible to plug in a phone with one to an RJ45 port. I assume this would only require a software change to the port so say what it is.

Last edited:

KayCS

Just a finale on this set-up and how calls are working via SIM or VoIP (Sipgate in this case) when ringing out from the Huawei router the call is made through Sipgate and as far as I can see there is no way to call out using the SIMs number in the router unless you delete the setting in the router for the VoIP number.

That said the router receives calls to both numbers so if you have a standard landline phone connected to the Huawei router that phone will ring and answer to calls from both the VoIP number and the SIM number.

Thanks for all your help Chris, made my choice easier. I will go with the Huawei 525 simply because it has a landline type option and can access the sim card both ways. For a card I can buy this one Forfait mobile Free sans engagement: Internet 4G+ illimité More data than I will ever need and it is the same company as the nearest 4G+ mast so should link well.
Always worth having one of these routers to hand as they can be used pretty much anywhere. What started this was we had a problem with the landline and it took 2 weeks of 1mb and 0mb downloads before it was fixed. So having one of these routers to hand means we can get online again quickly by buying any sim.
I have a few weeks left on the sim I bought so will use it to set up the Huawei, I can then decide what to do later as I can run the landline and sim router in parallel for a few months then probably drop the landline. Hopefully this thread will be a help to others in the future. Thanks again John

maniben

Just a finale on this set-up and how calls are working via SIM or VoIP (Sipgate in this case) when ringing out from the Huawei router the call is made through Sipgate and as far as I can see there is no way to call out using the SIMs number in the router unless you delete the setting in the router for the VoIP number.

That said the router receives calls to both numbers so if you have a standard landline phone connected to the Huawei router that phone will ring and answer to calls from both the VoIP number and the SIM number.

Hello KayCS

I stumbled upon this forum thread and am impressed by your answers. I am in a similar dilemma, but have already purchased the Huawei B535 router in a rush and reading somewhere, also bought a CISCO ATA sp112 unit (The router does not have an RJ11 port to directly connect the hansdset) . Now I dont know how to go forwards. Any ideas? I have a Virgin sim card inserted in the router with some data and unlimited minutes, which is what I want to use by connecting a DECT phone to the router via this SP112 ATA.

Look forward to your input.

Thanks

Pending Chris' reply.
I have the B535 and you may not need the Cisco unit unless it provides the voip connection to a call service .
I just connected a phone and dialled and it works fine. You could try dialling another phone (maybe a friend) using it. It takes a few seconds to connect when you dial out, I think this is because it switches to 3g temporarily to make the call (they all do) but incoming calls seem quicker. The Huawei boxes seem to be the only ones anyone bothered to put a voip option into, only router that seems to do this.

maniben

HI Charentejohn. Appreciate your reply. This might solve my dilemma. But how did you connect the landline phone plug (Which is RJ11) to the router ethernet port (which is RJ45) ? They are different sizes and pins !! I am confused. Help .

maniben

Pending Chris' reply.
I have the B535 and you may not need the Cisco unit unless it provides the voip connection to a call service .
I just connected a phone and dialled and it works fine. You could try dialling another phone (maybe a friend) using it. It takes a few seconds to connect when you dial out, I think this is because it switches to 3g temporarily to make the call (they all do) but incoming calls seem quicker. The Huawei boxes seem to be the only ones anyone bothered to put a voip option into, only router that seems to do this.

hello

KayCS

Hi maniben

First thing I have a Huawei B311 but AFAIK the other Huawei router talked about here use the same setup for phone use as the B311 but the other routers have upgraded software and hardware.

Let’s see if we can get you up and running but first thing what charentejohn meant by not needing a Cisco phone adaptor is you can use the router with a landline phone that uses the SIM you put inside the router so in your case if you plug a phone into the router without doing anything else you can make and receive calls on the plugged in landline phone through your Virgin SIM and it’s number.

I’ve done that using a standard phone bought from Asda’s that has a standard BT plug on the end and using one of these…

RJ11 to BT Telephone Adapter / 1x RJ11 Male - 1x BT Female/Socket Landline Phone Plug/White/iCHOOSE: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

...note the RJ11 plug on the end of this adaptor as that’s the plug that connects to my Huawei router however your saying the B535 has RJ45 and if that’s so those adaptor can be found on Amazon and E-Bay with the RJ45 plug too. There are cheaper versions of this plug on Amazon and E-Bay but paid a little extra just to make sure it was reasonable quality.

If your going to use a VoIP provider with the likes of Sipgate and a local or national number you then need the Cisco adaptor or VoIP phone and will come back to that if need be but if your just using your Virgin SIM then you just need that adaptor noted above.

Just a quick edit...just had a look around the net and noticed there seems to be two version of the B535 and one has 4 LAN connection and no phone connection whereas the other has the phone connection with the 4 LAN's so if you have the one without the phone connection you will need that Cisco. I will be back with the cable you need for that in a moment.

Last edited:

maniben

Thanks KayCS for the response. Much appreciated. My next question then is: Will the RJ45 (ethernet port) slot in the Huawei B535 router be enabled /programmed/chipped to receive this voice call ? Same as the B525 has? Or is there another circuit specifically for this to happen via the ethernet port?

KayCS

OK, I’ve had a look at my Cisco SPA112 adaptor and it has 1 x RJ45 and 2 x RJ11.

The RJ45 you will just need a standard CAT5e or above cable and more than likely you have one of those somewhere laying around. This cable should be plugged into one of your huawei routers LAN’s connection and the other end in the Cisco LAN connection marked “Internet” on some models.

For the phone connect you will need the adaptor above i.e. RJ11 to BT female.

Note I’ve have not used my SPA112 with the Huawei but can’t see any reason why it would not work and also not sure if the Cisco can be used via the internal SIM’s for making calls and texts on the Virgin SIM account as noted above when using without the Cisco, chances are, it will not.

The Cisco should work fine using an SIP VoIP provider like Sipgate as it just uses the SIMs internet data connetions.

These are the setting you need for the Cisco SPA112…

Cisco SPA Adaptors

note, only change the things highlighted in red.

You will need an account from Sipgate first but all can be set up free of charge to see if it suits you first
and other SIP providers are available but I know nothing about there settings.

KayCS

Thanks KayCS for the response. Much appreciated. My next question then is: Will the RJ45 (ethernet port) slot in the Huawei B535 router be enabled /programmed/chipped to receive this voice call ? Same as the B525 has? Or is there another circuit specifically for this to happen via the ethernet port?
I don’t know the answer for that but assume you have the Huawei model with the phone socket so with luck that should work but if not using the Cisco with a Sipgate account should work as noted above unless, and I’m guessing here, its been disabled by network provider as again I’m assuming you have a 3 network router so there’s always the possibility of it being locked down but from past experience 3 are OK with there network gear.

KayCS

Sorry, I’m forgetting what I’ve said looking around for settings and cables and overlooked what john said about not needing the Cisco adaptor as its just come back to me that if your Huawei router has “VoIP” setting then Sipgate can be configured within the Huawei router without the need of an adaptor.:facepalm:

Look in in your Huawei router setting menu after logging into the router and look along the top of the home screen and select “Advanced” look down the list and find “VoIP” and in there is where you set up your SIP account.

If you don’t see a VoIP setting menu then it might not have it so won’t work but again that take us back to using the Cisco that should work regardless.

PS Just reread a post of your and add If your router does not have the RJ11 phone socket then you will have to use the Cisco with a phone connected to its RJ11 sockets via BT adaptor.

Last edited:

maniben

Thanks KayCS for the time accorded me.

Your last para is where I am. The Huawei router B535 DOES NOT have RJ11 port to directly connect the handset. Hence the need for sp112 ATA to route the handset/call into the router via ethernet. But in terms of configuration, I am lost how to proceeed further.

I do not intend to use any SIP or other voip provider account/login either. Just want to use the SIM minutes via home line handset with the help of this ATA.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Amazon Prime Day 2021 coming 21st -22nd June
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on UK streaming services for July 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Odyssey G9 gaming monitor
  • By Andy Bassett