1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Use loop-through Scart or seperate connection?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Tattie, Aug 26, 2004.

1. Tattie

Tattie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks,

just after a wee bit of advice with connecting up my Plasma, DVD and Sky+.

The Plasma Tv is a Hitachi 42PD5200 and only has 1 scart socket but has 1 component (Pb, Pr and Y), 1 RGBs/Component and 1 S-Video.

My DVD (Pioneer 717) has 2 scarts and S-video and the Sky+ box has 2 scarts and S-video.

At present Sky+ goes into the plasma scart using the RGB setting.

The DVD loops through the sky+ box, again set to RGB (I was initially using a gash cheapo s-video lead).

I know that RGB is supposed to be the best for picture quality so my question is do you lose much picture quality using the loop through?

I am using high quality scart leads at present but as the plasma is now on the wall I need to buy a longer lead and I'm not sure wether to use the loop through or buy a seperate scart-rgbs lead.

Many thanks

Tattie

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I have my Sky box outputting RGB which is daisychained through a Pioneer 646 DVD player and yet again through a Tivo before being connected to the single RGB scart socket on my TV

3. Laura

Laura

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I believe that the Sky boxes only have the TV scart socket enabled for RGB, so looping the DVD through the second (VCR) socket will reduce it to just a composite connection.

As Ian says you might want to try it the other way round (though it will depend on whether the DVD players sockets are both RGB enabled).

Whats the quality of the Sky like, and is the DVD better when it's attached directly?

4. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    My Sky+ is connected to my PW6 via the VGA input (using an RGB2VGA convertor) and my xbox os connected through the Sky+ so I can also make use of teh VGA input with games. I find the xbox picture to be just as clear, sharp and solid as the Sky picture.