Use HUAWEI without talk talk broadband

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by dtr, Mar 8, 2013.

Tags:
  1. dtr

dtr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello - my question is that I am seeing many talktalk branded HUAWEI youview boxes on ebay and i was wondering:

a) can i use one of these on my "other provider" broadband service? (I'm not with talktalk)
    b) Is the humax box better?

2. lbear

lbear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    a) Almost certainly, the main servers are run by Youview, not Huawei or Talktalk.

b) Probably and almost certainly once the software glitches have been ironed out between Humax and Youview. The Humaxes have larger hard drives and these can certainly be swapped out. Some have installed 2Tb drives. This is probably possible with the Huawei boxes but I have not heard of it being done yet. There is provision in the Youview spec for individual makers to add their own features (like archiving to an external USB drive) but neither have taken up the option so far. BTW, neither box yet fully complies with the base Youview spec as published by them if only because neither can be used with wifi. (This mandated feature, either built in or by the use of a dongle, may have been quietly dropped for the first generation of boxes and Homeplugs to connect at a distance seem to be the norm.)

3. JAMAL

JAMAL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes you can use your box with any ISP I use mine with bethere, all catch up services and software updates work fine :)