Use Foxsat HDR LNB Output to Feed Sky+ Box?

Lt. Dang

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok, was looking for a replacement for my Sky+ box and thought the Foxsat HDR looked like a great choice especially given the upgrade options. So got my hands on one and upgraded the HDD to 1TB which was straightforward. Then installed Raydon's excellent custom firmware along with Nowster's patch and all is working well. Now able to stream SD and HD recordings and live TV to my tablet. Much more fexible than my Sky+ box, which brings me to my question (yes I'm geting there finally). My Sky contract has a couple of weeks to run and I have recordings on it to watch. But Sky box won't play ball without at least one satellite feed. Thought I could switch the Sky box to single input and use the LNB out on the back of the Foxsat to feed the Sky box? But the box stubbornly says it's not receiving a signal? Do I need to do something to turn the LNB output on? Any ideas gratefully accepted.
Regards,

Lt. Dang

I have a HD fta pvr ready box connected to rf1 out on my Foxsat. To clarify the box has to be in low power sby (which is the opposite of what it says in the manual). For some weird reason turning off low power sby clobbers the loop through (well it does on my box).

Ah right! I thought it would just be a pass-through that was active all the time. That's not going to work for me then. Thanks for your reply. Wish there was a way to watch my recordings on the Sky box without giving it a satellite feed.
Regards,
Lt. Dang

Ah right! I thought it would just be a pass-through that was active all the time. That's not going to work for me then. Thanks for your reply. Wish there was a way to watch my recordings on the Sky box without giving it a satellite feed.
Regards,
Lt. Dang

It is active all the time. You would need to find out which transponder the Sky box looks at to find a signal and ensure if the box is on or recording in sby that tuner 1 is using a transponder in the same frequency band and polarisation as the transponder the sky box needs access to.

Thanks, yes, I'm starting to understand that the LNB isn't just a passive receiver like a TV aerial. You live and learn I guess.

I wish there was a way to just watch my last few recordings on my Sky box without providing a satellite feed?
Regards,
Lt. Dang

Try this out turn on the Sky box and the Foxsat. Tune the Foxsat to the following channels in turn

968 Low Band Horizontal
910 Low Band Vertical
800 High Band Horizontal
202 High Band Vertical

Does the Sky box detect a signal for any of the above ?

This explains how a lnb works

LNB mysteries explained - part 1

Dave Murgatroyd has confirmed access to High Band Vertical transponders is required.

Therefore the box must either be in low power sby. If booted or recording in sby then tuner 1 must be using one of these channels.

202 Sky News
144 pick
651 COMMUNITY
524 Kerrang
521 Smashhits
519 The Box
518 Kiss
808 JML DIRECT
660 SONY SAB
154 truTV
150 Travel Channel
143 more>movies
210 CNBC
650 Ocean TV

Last edited:
Use the Foxsat in single feed mode whilst you have the Sky box still active. Connect the LNB out to tuner 2 and reset it. It won't allow recording combinations that are not possible and is more flexible than you may imagine for a single tuner.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I currently have the Foxsat in dual feed mode with the LNB out connected to input 1 on the Sky Box which is set in single feed mode. So, as you would expect, the Sky box works only when the Foxsat is in standby. Are you saying that the LNB output can be active when the Foxsat is powered up but depending on which transponder it is accessing?

Looked at the manual tuning check you suggested but still getting used to the box. Sorry, but how do I select between high band and low band please?
Many Thanks,
Lt. Dang

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I currently have the Foxsat in dual feed mode with the LNB out connected to input 1 on the Sky Box which is set in single feed mode. So, as you would expect, the Sky box works only when the Foxsat is in standby. Are you saying that the LNB output can be active when the Foxsat is powered up but depending on which transponder it is accessing?

Looked at the manual tuning check you suggested but still getting used to the box. Sorry, but how do I select between high band and low band please?
Many Thanks,
Lt. Dang

Tune the Foxsat to watch any of the channels listed in post 7. Any of these channels will make the high band vertical transponder the Sky box needs available. What I don't know is whether you still need access to this transponder once you are replaying a recording, if not you should then be able to use the Foxsat-hdr on other channels. A quick test should confirm.

Ok, thanks, will give that a try.
Cheers,
Lt. Dang

Ok, tuned to sky news on 202 on the Foxsat. The Sky box powers up, doesn't show any channels. But does allow access to my recordings and does show epg data? Which is strange?
Regards,
Lt. Dang

I see what you're getting at now. Tuned to sky news on the foxsat. This unlocks my recordings in the sky box and the sky box can now show sky news as well and other associated channels too I'm guessing?
That helps - thanks.
Lt. Dang

I see what you're getting at now. Tuned to sky news on the foxsat. This unlocks my recordings in the sky box and the sky box can now show sky news as well and other associated channels too I'm guessing?
That helps - thanks.
Lt. Dang
Correct because the Foxsat is controlling the lnb's output and until the foxsat is put into standby it will not allow the control signals from the Sky box to pass through.

Correct because the Foxsat is controlling the lnb's output and until the foxsat is put into standby it will not allow the control signals from the Sky box to pass through.

Dave do you happen to know if removing access to the Sky home transponder after recording playback is initiated will stop replay ?

Dave do you happen to know if removing access to the Sky home transponder after recording playback is initiated will stop replay ?
I have never tried it but I would think not as you can record any two channels and still watch a recording as long as there is a satellite signal reaching the Sky box. Although 11778V is the factory default transponder (which is the only one carrying the full 7 day EPG) there are other transponders (which can be set in the menus) in I believe every band and polarisation combination which carry a roughly 24 hour EPG and I believe duplicate the messages to the viewing cards which confirm you have a valid sub. However whether switching the foxsat away from a High band vertical signal would stop the Sky box tuner being able to receive a valid signal or not I do not know and may mean you have to tune the Sky box to the same channel as the foxsat (or at least the same band and polarisation). Perhap Lt. Dang could try this for us and confirm what is necessary. Note however that recordings will continue to play without a satellite signal (to cope with bad weather) for up to I believe half an hour or so.

The Sky box only needs sight of 11778V (or whatever the default transponder is reset to) at boot up - after that it merely needs sight of any of the "alternate default" transponders. Note also that setting the default to an alternate will only be remembered by the Sky box until it receives a signal from 11778V when it will revert to that, the "factory default".

Last edited:
Hi, tried that scenario where the Sky+ box is on and a recording is being played whilst being fed by the Foxsat LNB output while the box is in standby. Turning on the Foxsat did not have any impact on the Sky+ playback, even when moving through various channels on the Foxsat. Once started the Sky+ playback just kept on going. By the way, have to say I am very happy with the Foxsat-HDR and the really powerful features added by Raydon's custom firmware with Biwster's patch.
Regards,
Lt. Dang

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom