1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Use de-interlaing ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Gadjet, May 27, 2003.

1. Gadjet

Gadjet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi,
    I am using the HT1000 conected to a Pioneer 747. This dvd has progressive scan, if I use de-interlacing on pj does that mean that progressive scan is being used off the dvd player?

Cheers phill

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    If you feed the pj an interlaced image (non PS, 480i, 576i) then the HT1000 will use the DCDi circuitry to de-interlace the incoming source thus giving you a Progressive picture.

If you use the progressive circuitry in the source player (DVD) then this will feed a 480p/576p source to the pj and the pj will therefore bypass the DCDi circuitry.

My guess would be that the de-interlacing in the projector (Faroudja DCDi) will do a better job that the one in the DVD player because it will have been optimised for the pj, whereas the circuitry in the DVD player will be generic. Only you can tell though by looking at it.

Watch a film with using DVD player in interlaced mode then watch the same film in PS mode. I would suggest you don't try doing the comparison on a 5 minute sample though as the differences can sometimes be quite subtle and an extended viewing would be best.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    As well as the general appearance of film, presence (or otherwise) of 'jaggies' on shallow diagonals, also look closely at the scrolling end titles to see if you prefer one over the other.