Usb

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Co1one1ZoidX, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Co1one1ZoidX

Co1one1ZoidX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi i recently got a Xbox 360 4Gb Arcade Slim console.However due to the hard drive size i will be needing more space soon.I have 3 options:Buy a 320Gb internal HD,an External USB HD i gather you can use these for games?If so what would u suggest?Lastly does the Xbox 360 4Gb accept the 64Gb USB Flash Drive i have seen them for about £20 i am tempted but would like to know if it would work-what are your thoughts please?Ta.Cheapest price possible please.
    One last thing do u remove the sticker under the DVD Drive?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  2. Mr Noble

Mr Noble
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,019
    IIRC The 360 max supported external memory allowed is 16gb due to the file system.

So you either want USB 16GB, or one of the internal hard drives 250/320GB option.

Also you can use the old style xbox 360 hard drives by removing the case and putting it in a third party slim caddy found on ebay for a few £.

:)

You might want to remove the JSA comment as it's irrelevant ;)...as some will advise selling the xbox and buying a suit may be better advice :D

Price wise your looking at over £40 for the slim hard drive obviously cheaper if you can get your hands on an old style hard drive.

A decent 16gb USB stick available in most places for under £10 :)

regarding the sticker yep feel free to remove it (i do) purely cosmetic so can stay or go as you see fit.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  3. Co1one1ZoidX

Co1one1ZoidX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    That is a bummer only 16GB!!I was hoping for maybe 32GB.But i am now thinking of saving £40 for 320GB.Can you not use a portable external hard drive for game storage?I amended where you said to.

4. Mr Noble

Mr Noble
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,019
    external hard drives are for music /videos AFAIK.

If you only have a few games in rotation perhaps one of the 120GB old pre-slim drives would suffice.

which reminds me i need to remove some of my game installs 131GB :eek:

5. DJSigma

DJSigma
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,896
    You can allot up to 16GB on a device and use up to 2 devices, so you can have 32GB of storage as long as you use 2 USB sticks that are at least 16GB in size. The same applies to USB hard drives.

If there is space left on the stick/drive after you have allotted up to 16GB for use as 360 storage, that space can be used as regular storage. For example, if you have a 120GB external hard drive, you can allot 16GB for 360 storage and use the other ~104GB to store music/photos/videos (in fact, any files you like, but the 360 will only see music/photos/videos).

6. Co1one1ZoidX

Co1one1ZoidX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    So if i allot say 100GB for games on the 120GB HD and the rest for music will that be ok?

7. DJSigma

DJSigma
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,896
    No, cos you can only allot up to 16GB per device for use as 360 storage. 2 devices max (i.e. connected at the same time).

8. Co1one1ZoidX

Co1one1ZoidX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    May i ask what you would if you had a 4Gb Xbox?Eg buying the new hard drive or a USB stick?

9. Mr Noble

Mr Noble
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,019
    If I only played one or two games regularly I'd get a USB pen.

If you plan to bump up your game collection and would like to save wear and tear on the laser then get an internal hard drive.

Especially of you plan to download more games , demos etc.

10. DJSigma

DJSigma
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,896
    Personally I'd buy the hard drive because I need the space for downloadable games and content, plus I play multiple games at once and like to install them all at the same time.

It depends how much space you need and what your budget is really. If you're on a budget, a 16GB stick would be a decent buy. A game install goes up to about 7.9GB, so as long as you leave that much space free you'll always be able to install the current game you're playing, then you have a similar amount of space free for downloading demos, games and DLC - plus you have the 4GB of internal memory too, as the USB stick doesn't replace that - it's additional to it.

11. Co1one1ZoidX

Co1one1ZoidX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks m8 i think i wll save a few weeks for a 320Gb Slim HD they are about £40 on ebay hopefully cheaper in a few weeks.

12. DJSigma

DJSigma
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,896
    Just be wary of fakes if you buy on eBay.

An original 360 hard drive contains several partitions and a file that contains a unique serial number.

A good fake hard drive will have the proper partition structure, but obviously the serial number will not be unique - MS have never banned people from Live over that and likely never will, but using a fake drive while connected to Live is a breach of the terms and conditions and using a fake hard drive even offline voids the console's warranty due to using an unauthorised accessory. Chances are the drive would still work fine and nothing bad would ever happen, but you should be aware of the risks.

A bad fake hard drive will not have the proper partition structure, so you may run into issues with the 360 recognising the drive, with the 360 thinking it's an external hard drive and offering to format it (which will make it show as 16GB), or with original Xbox backwards compatibility not working due to the required partition being missing. Again, it will also not have a unique serial number, which leads to the issues mentioned above.

The drive itself is an off the shelf 2.5" SATA hard drive and the plastic caddies that the drives go inside are easy to clone, so there's plenty of fakes out there.

13. Co1one1ZoidX

Co1one1ZoidX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks i will check before i buy.

14. Co1one1ZoidX

Co1one1ZoidX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Just had a quick peek it says `Brand New unopened`.Would this be wise?

15. DJSigma

DJSigma
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,896
    I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that all of the official 320GB drives come with a free download code for Lego Star Wars III and that's mentioned on the packaging, so if that's shown in the photo then it's a pretty solid sign that the drive is legit as long as the packaging is still sealed.

16. Co1one1ZoidX

Co1one1ZoidX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi i will ask the seller about Star Wars prior to ordering