1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USB:what goes in must come out?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Lena, May 13, 2003.

1. Lena

Lena

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe this could be the first new post of the FAQ! I have transferred my moving footage from my Sony camcorder to my computer, using a usb cable supplied with the camcorder. The question is: can i get it back onto my camcorder in the same way?

Help me, please!

Lena

2. DigiStuff

DigiStuff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Lena,

Sorry to tell you this but the answer is , No ! How exactly did you get video from your camcorder via USB into your PC please ? Do you know what software you used and at what resolution it is at? Do you have any other video editing hardware in your PC?

If you can let us know what equipment you have then we in the forum can advise you to the best we can!

Hope this makes sense and you get the answer you are looking for soon !!

Mark T

3. Lena

Lena

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used software that Sony provided with the camcorder called 'Pixela Image Mixer.' I'm afraid I don't know the resolution. I just follewed the instructions to get it onto the computer. The quality isn't brilliant, but it certainly worked! I also have Adobe Premiere on my computer. The problem is, I don't have a dv input on my computer - what would be the best way of sorting all this out?!

Hope you can help some more,

Lena

4. DigiStuff

DigiStuff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Lena,

If you could kindly let us know what model camcorder you have and what spec PC you have then we can can advise you best on what to do next!!

cheers

Mark

5. Lena

Lena

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a Sony TRV 25 and a PC with a Pentium III 450 MHz processor, about 200 MB RAM and about 4GB left on my hard drive. I wouldn't be editing huge pieces of film so I've been told it'll be slow but it'll work ok.

Cheers for all your help so far,

Lena

6. DigiStuff

DigiStuff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Lena,

Ok easiest way of getting going will be to get a firewire (IEEE 1394) card and fitting that to your PC and using Adobe Premiere start capturing and editing with that. The card should cost around £40-50 in main stores. As long as you are running Windows 98SE or later it should be fine. Premiere however has a steep learning curve so it might be better going for something like a Pinnacle Studio 8 DV kit at around £70-80 which would have better software to start out with.

USB is only used for web cam applications and e-mail trype video footage. WHat you need to think about is what you want to create, how you want to share your movies with the world. From there you can figure out the best hardware to use!

If I can help anymore then please do e-mail me direct if easier!! stuff@digistuff.co.uk

hope this helps !

Mark

7. Lena

Lena

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark,

You really have been a lot of help - thank you very much!

Lena

8. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    DV cards can be bought from around £20 or £30 up including some basic software.
    I use Adobe Premiere and agree that it is far from easy to learn, but if you are in no rush to get your blockbusters released then it would be well worth learning. The Adobe Classroom in a Book tutorials are fairly cheap and easy to follow and will get you up and running fairly quickly.
    You say you have around 4Gb of spare disk space. YOU NEED TO GET ANOTHER HARD DISK! :D
    The reason is that DV footage takes approx. 1Gb for every 4 minutes. That only gives you 16 minutes of footage, and that leaves no space to edit the footage. An 80Gb drive should cost around £80 on the internet.

Mark.

9. Lena

Lena

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had a go at Adobe Premiere, and although it is complicated, I'm a Media Production graduate, so I should be able to get around it eventually! But I'm going to have to think about my hard drive for sure...

Thanks for your help,

Lena

10. darkan9el

darkan9el

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
  11. Lena

Lena

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Lee, I'll bear that in mind for next time - my friend got stuff through work for me.

Lena

12. marmaduke178

marmaduke178

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wondering, if DV card and IEEE1394, or firewire are all the same? or different things?

13. darkan9el

darkan9el

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    :lesson:
    Originally developed by computer giant Apple Computer Inc., the IEE1394 Serial Digital interface (which is refered to as FireWire on all Apple computer systems and as iLink on most camcorders) is a simple-to-use and highly efficient method of not only transferring digital signals between devices, but it's also a "hot-pluggable" type of connector which means that a computer to which connection is required doesn't requiring re-booting in order to make the connection live. It can plugged in and out at will.

FireWire, or iLink, connections come in two types: firstly the larger original 6-pin types which are used to connect hard drives, etc, to computers, and the second type which are smaller connectors with 4 pins which are used as standard on digital camcorders. The connection between computer and camcorder made in this way also enables users to control the camcorder playback and - where suitably equipped DV-in camcorders are present - recording functions using the on-screen controls of the appropriate program.

Revision Links Below lol! :)

http://www.computers-internet.co.uk/guides/what_is_firewire.html

http://www.2ndchancepc.co.uk/firewire-faq.html

http://www.apple.com/uk/firewire/

Here endth the lesson :hiya:

14. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Just in case the reply from darkan9el was not clear :D then YES they are all the same thing!

Mark.

15. darkan9el

darkan9el

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Lol! :laugh: I do waffle on a bit don't I

16. marmaduke178

marmaduke178

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks mark, your reply answers my question straight. now iknow :), but have an other one, CCD Imagery stand for?

17. darkan9el

darkan9el

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    CCD stands for 'Charged-Coupled Device'

In what context are you referring to this imagery?

CCD sensors create high-quality, low-noise images.