USB twin socket

Discussion in 'General Tech & Gadget Forums' started by OBee1, Feb 4, 2014.

1. OBee1

OBee1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
  2. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    In short, no.

I've never quite got my head around the various rules that different devices use to draw more power from USB sources that can supply more than the basic 500 mA, but in any case the spec for this device suggest that the maximum total output is 1 amp so if you're charging two devices they're not going to get any more than 500mA anyway.

I'd suggest it's fine for charging phones of any flavour but probably not much use for iPads / tablets that charge very slowly from a 500mA source. Personally I'd go for one of the multi-output high-current chargers available for a similar price rather than this.

3. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,519
    A basic USB port will allow 150mA draw with no information needed, and if the device initiates a data connection that can be upped to 500mA (USB 2.0) or 900mA (USB 3.0).

Higher currents are part of the USB Battery Charging Spec that allows additional types of ports (charging downstream ports and dedicated charging ports) with higher power delivery. Version 1.1 of the spec allowed up to 1.5A, version 1.2 allows up to 5A.

Of course, the difficulty is that so few products actually tell you what spec they're following and worse, some products ignore it entirely (Apple devices used to do it, I don't know the behaviour of the latest ones).