1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

usb tv tuner

Discussion in 'PS Vita Forum' started by shirleywhite, Sep 16, 2005.

Tags:
  1. shirleywhite

shirleywhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi all. New PSP owner - very impressed so far -screen is amazing! Would like to watch some recorded TV programmes on the psp. Am thinking of getting a digital usb tv tuner box to plug into either my main computer or my laptop. A few questions?!

How important is the aerial on these things? My main tv comes through telewest cable so no real need for any aerials. I do have a small table top indoor plugged into an old vcr - works fine cos I'm in a very strong signal area ( within sight of Crystal palace!) I believe (?) both analogue and digital broadcasts are from there - so would a simple set-top aerial be good enough to give me all the terrestrial and freeview channels on a usb box - which I can then save to hard drive?.

Re the copying - most boxes record in mpeg2 - some do other formats including mpeg4. If the latter - could I transfer straight to psp folders ( possibly having to rename files?) If I've got mpeg2 saved presumably I have to convert to mpeg4 (or avc?!) via say pspvideo9 ( as i've done with a couple of my dvds ) Has anyone tried the Hauppage tv usb nova ? ( I like hauppage stuff - but I think this is mpeg2 ) There's Pinnacle boxes - mpeg4 but I've seen a lot of negative comments in reviews?!. Any help greatly appreciated.

2. Forestred

Forestred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    This is something that I have been looking into a bit.

Basically the key is to get a card which does the encoding and not one that makes your CPU do all the work, Happauge have a card but as you rightly say it encodes into MPEG2. This is not too bad because even if you found a card which could encode in MPEG4 I doubt that it would have settings to reduce the video size like PSPVideo9 does so I think that you would still have to run your MPEG4 videos through PSPVideo9. If you find one that will encode encode on the card at PSPVideo9 settings please let me know.

Bear in mind that some cards are not suitable for digital signals, my plan is to get a digital capture card which I will link to my sky box via phono connections, I will then batch convert the recordings overnight. I would recommend connecting the card to your cable/sat box as the picture will be better.

Hope this helps

3. shirleywhite

shirleywhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks for the reply. According to reviews the Hauppage pvr usb2 has its own hardware mpeg2 encoder - says "allows pc to run at full speed/do other things" etc ( and thus quite a low spec needed -Pentiumt733mhz). I take your point re the mpeg4 still needing resizing etc. So I'm attracted to this Hauppage- will save tv progs - then every so often transcode and transfer using pspvideo9 or similar.

I wasnt originally planning to hook up to my cable box(which is downstairs in the living room) but thought I'd stick to the "freeview" channels and take programmes straight from a set-top or loft aerial ( my computers being up in a loft room ) . How easy would hooking up to the cable box be? My telewest pace box has dvd/vcr/tv attached via scarts through a switch box. Having looked closely but wonder if there's an rf (?) ouput to attach a cable to. ( or could I get one of those video senders to send my cable channels up to the loft room!!??) .

4. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +583
    if you have an MCE 2005 system like i do this is as easy as falling off a log!

i use a prog called MYTVTOGO that automatically converts the MCE TV files into PSP MP4 files with one button press.

about 1 hours TV at high quality is 269 mb and takes about 20 mins to convert. You can do as a batch and it works within MCE.

I regulary watch my TV shows on the way to work or anywhere in high quality video no hassle at all.

I love it when people on the tube are trying to watch it over my shoulder LOL

5. Forestred

Forestred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Forgive me but what is an MCE 2005 system? I'm probably going to look very silly now but I had to ask! :rolleyes:

6. shirleywhite

shirleywhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    MCE is XP/Windows Media Centre Edition. Enables all sorts of media/music/video/tv etc controls via remote etc etc etc. I havent got it unfortunately. Bought a usb digital tv tuner though - freecom dvb-t. It's amazingly tiny(!) - just the size of a plug in memory stick( with a small vertical 6inch stick of an aerial on a rubber sucker thing!!) I'm in a very good reception area and even the stock aerial pulls in all the freeview channels. Some reviews suggest replcing with a better (loft? outside?) aerial if not in such a good area. Saving tv progs is easy - double click on the prog guide listing - and that's it!! Writes an mpg to a chosen folder on hard drive. I then run pspvideo9 to convert ( from mpg2 to mpg4) - which seems to halve the size approx - at the compression etc settings i'm using but still experimenting - and then transfer to psp. The freecom software lets you queue up progs - only thing I couldnt get to work is teletext function - there's a line in the help file saying something re "europe text" NOT uk. PS the tuner is supposed to be usb 2.0 only.Havent tried on a usb 1.0 machine yet.

7. Forestred

Forestred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    That sounds good but it is still encoding the programme via software (i.e. using your PC's CPU) and not doing it itself and then saving to your hard disc.

I need hardware encoding because my processor won't cope and to change it basically means a new system

8. jaydee999

jaydee999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi guys
    The Freecom software works fine and delivers an impresive image for such a small piece of kit. However, I'm trying to set my Freecom USB stick (digital-only version) with MCE 2005, and it can't find the tuner. You guys seem to have cracked it. Any suggestions? Do I need to unistall the software that the Freecom stick comes with?
    TIA
    jaydee

9. Simebaby

Simebaby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  10. jaydee999

jaydee999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Well this link took me to the ste, but I couldn't find the drivers :-(. I'll keep looking.
    Thanks for the help anyway.
    jaydee

11. jaydee999

jaydee999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Found the drivers. Will try them this evening.
    jaydee999

12. Simebaby

Simebaby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    From what I can remember, the alternative drivers work with older versions of the Freecom - the newer versions won't work as the firmware has changed (this trick didn't work on mine).

Apparently Freecom are working on BDA drivers for MCE, but I think they've been saying this for a long while.

13. jaydee999

jaydee999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Simebaby, u r right about it not working on new sticks.:( I guess all I can do is wait and pray, or re-install XP.