• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

USB TV Stick

nsx2050

Standard Member
Hi,
I want to get a USB DVB-T dual tuner for my laptop, and a USB DVB-S stick aswell (preferrably dual tuner, if possible).
Can you recommened any good ones that will work with Media Center PVR and also preferrably record in Mpeg-4 format.
Would it be possible to use both sticks at the same time in Media Center, and also any chance of getting a stick that does both?

Thanks for your help, its well appreciated.

markxtc123

While we are at it, can anyone recommend a DVB-T USB stick (single tuner would be OK, but dual would be better) that works with the Media Center in Vista?

Cheers.

Mark

nigelbb

Distinguished Member
While the idea of USB stick TV tuners is attractive be aware that unless you have a very, very good Freeview TV signal that you will have to connect to an external aerial especially if you want to use two tuners.

They will not record in MPEG-4 format as all they do is record the MPEG2 stream as broadcast direct to disk so playback is identical to broadcast. You will need to use one of the conversion utilities to produce MPEG4 files.

The new WinTV-NOVA-TD is the only dual tuner USB stick device that I know of. It also claims to have improved reception with dual diversity aerials http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/pages/products/data_novatdstick.html However I see that this device does not work in dual tuner mode under Vista at present http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/pages/Promotions/vista.html

ukkev2000

I've got one to avoid - the Freecom stick currently avaiable from Novatech for £25.

It's currently part of a twin tuner setup, my other tuner being a nebula DigiTV box.

The DigiTV finds all the channels while the freecom stick, fed from the same aerial only finds a signal on 75% of them.

SO I guess the freecom stick just isn't as good as a proper separate box. I'm somewhat loath to fork out £70 on the Happague stick if it's based on the same design as the Freecom :(

Any other good designs out there?

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom