USB to USBC cable - Charging Speed?

Tempest

Distinguished Member
I'm looking for a pretty standard cable. A USB to USB C
Which is the sort of thing you got as standard with a recent Android Phone which came with a fast charger in the box.

What's confusing me is I go onto Amazon and look for these type of cables, and there are many of them at all different price points and brands, and they all seem to say something like "does not support high speed charging"

Can someone explain this? It's just a length of wire, with a connector at each end isn't it?
The cable that came with your phone obviously supported the high speed charger than it came with, but all these other cable's don't?

I'm confused :(

Tempest

Distinguished Member
Thanks.
Took a quick look and ordered those for delivery tomorrow.
A few reviews saying no quick charging, but then others saying they do support it!

But anyway, the do look a nice quality, do have some good right-ups and the price is excellent so I'm ok with this.

Again, thanks for the recommendation :)

dts197

Distinguished Member
Sounds strange, but I've had usb a to c cables in the past that only fast charge if you have them plugged in a certain way (so flipping them upside down).

Good thing with Amazon though, it's a free return if it doesn't work when the listing clearly says it does.

Johnmcl7

Distinguished Member
Can someone explain this? It's just a length of wire, with a connector at each end isn't it?
The cable that came with your phone obviously supported the high speed charger than it came with, but all these other cable's don't?

I'm confused :(

The more expensive cables that support power delivery and other features are different internally with more wires compared to cheaper cables.

People think a USB-C connector means the cable is USB 3.1 but that's not the case, USB-C is simply a connector and the cable can be a lower standard and they're commonly USB2. From what I've seen there's no required marking on the cable to show what standard it actually is.

At work we use Lenovo docks that utilise a USB-C to USB-C cable to connect to the laptop which handles power, video and USB. Some of these cables went missing and the purchasing department ordered some replacement USB-C to USB-C cables which didn't work properly, users would get keyboard and mouse but no display or power which turned out was caused by them being USB2 cables and not USB 3.1

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom