USB to MP3?

Ascoyne

Novice Member
Hi folks, I'm just looking for some advice - disclaimer first, I am an old duffer with zero knowledge about modern tech so please excuse any dopey points/questions.
I use a chromebook, don't use streaming services etc. I have quite a few CD's I would like to listen to whilst on the move. As my chromebook doesn't have a CD drive I can't use that to copy my CD's to transfer them to an MP3.
I don't fancy spending hundreds of £'s to buy a laptop just to transfer my music so I'm looking for options.
I know there is a service which will charge £1 per CD to transfer your CD's to a USB drive. If I buy an MP3 player with a USB port and attach said USB would that work?
If not are there any other options? Thanks in advance.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Do you mean just to buy a CD drive with USB?

Yes, that will work fine and you can convert to MP3 on your chromebook

Ascoyne

Novice Member
Thanks for your reply. What I had in mind is paying to get my CD's put on a USB stick, buying a MP3 player with a USB port (there's a SONY one for about £70) and plugging in the USB to the MP3. Would that work?

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
You would normally just load the MP3s into the MP3 player via your chrome book, as it will have plenty of internal memory. I assume you are looking at the 4GB Sony player - £50-£80 depending upon where you buy it and what colour you like)? This will hold 900 songs internally, so the external drive is not really required.

Ascoyne

Novice Member
You would normally just load the MP3s into the MP3 player via your chrome book, as it will have plenty of internal memory. I assume you are looking at the 4GB Sony player - £50-£80 depending upon where you buy it and what colour you like)? This will hold 900 songs internally, so the external drive is not really required.
Sorry to be dense but how do I get the music from the CD to the chromebook. It doesn't have a disc drive. Apparently external CD drives don't allow you to play music as they have no "codecs" (?)

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
You said you would get the music transferred to USB, so you would just plug in the USB stick to your Chrome book, also plug in your MP3 player and just drag it over, putting it into folders if you wish.

An external CD drive will transfer the data over to your Chrome book and you will then use an MP3 encoder app to convert the data to MP3. You can then just save these files where you need them.

Cards on the table, unless your music tastes are quite esoteric, you will find many tracks available on streaming services, often for free or at least very little outlay. MP3 playback is quite outdated these days and most people will only really transfer rare CDs or where they want better quality than is available from the streaming services.

Ascoyne

Novice Member
You said you would get the music transferred to USB, so you would just plug in the USB stick to your Chrome book, also plug in your MP3 player and just drag it over, putting it into folders if you wish.

An external CD drive will transfer the data over to your Chrome book and you will then use an MP3 encoder app to convert the data to MP3. You can then just save these files where you need them.

Cards on the table, unless your music tastes are quite esoteric, you will find many tracks available on streaming services, often for free or at least very little outlay. MP3 playback is quite outdated these days and most people will only really transfer rare CDs or where they want better quality than is available from the streaming services.
That's helpful, thank you.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom