USB to IR adapter - Harmony 525

Paul Francini

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm wanting to use the remote on my new media centre pc (still building it at mo), but will any kind of USB to IR adapter work ok? Most on ebay just mention about using the adapters to transfer files from phones and has nothing about if they work with remotes.

Any help would be much appreciated, cheers

I'm wanting to use the remote on my new media centre pc (still building it at mo), but will any kind of USB to IR adapter work ok? Most on ebay just mention about using the adapters to transfer files from phones and has nothing about if they work with remotes.

Any help would be much appreciated, cheers
The 525 works perfectly with the Microsoft MCE IR receiver. Just pick a cheapish one of ebay and you'll be set :thumbsup:

Kalc,

When you say pick up a cheap one of Ebay, do you know if the third party ones work as I have a Harmony remote programed to Media Center and I need a replacement receiver.

Cablecar

The MS (or Philips / OEM models that work in the same way as the MS ones) are the best to get. They work specifically as an IR remote control in Windows and have the best compatibility with Media Center.

Many of the 3rd party IR receivers emulate a keyboard (and send keyboard short cuts) rather than a pukka USB IR receiver - and thus can only send commands that shortcuts exist for. This stops the alphanumeric "triple tap" and the coloured buttons (important for Freeview/Freesat interactive and digital text - so you can "Press Red") working as there are no proper shortcuts for these.

On a 3rd party non-IR USB receiver pretending to be a keyboard pressing 2 three times will enter three 2s (as if you pressed the two key on a keyboard 3 times). With an MS IR receiver pressing 2 three times will enter C if Media Center is expecting alphanumeric input via the remote's triple tap functionality.

Kalc,

When you say pick up a cheap one of Ebay, do you know if the third party ones work as I have a Harmony remote programed to Media Center and I need a replacement receiver.

Cablecar
I meant as in pick a cheap Microsoft Media Center Remote and Receiver of eBay - as oppose to buying it brand new as you are only going to need the actual IR receiver:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Microsoft-Windows-Media-Centre-Remote-and-Sensor_W0QQitemZ250439742790QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Collectables_InputDevices_RL?hash=item3a4f5f3546&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1690|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

I picked mine up for about £10 and mapped the MCE remote with my Harmony 525 and have had no problems with it at all.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Is there anywhere that just sells the IR receiver? All the auctions on their recently have gone for no less than £15 but most over £20. I'd have no use for the remote so spending £20+ on an IR receiver is a bit overkill.

Big thanks for the help so far

Is there anywhere that just sells the IR receiver? All the auctions on their recently have gone for no less than £15 but most over £20. I'd have no use for the remote so spending £20+ on an IR receiver is a bit overkill.

Big thanks for the help so far
You could go for this cyberlink remote and receiver if your looking for something cheap:

Play.com (UK) : Cyberlink Remote Control + USB Receiver : Computing - Free Delivery

Im not to sure how well it works though...

No a remote will not work with an IrDA dongle. IrDA work at different frequency and are used for file transfer or data communication

Girder will work with the Harmony 525 and a MCE or Cyberlink receiver. This or the free Eventghost can be used to enhance the operation of a remote.

Thanks for the help guys, going to buy myself the cyberlink remote and get it all sussed out. Will be well worth it in the end though.

Thanks again for the help :smashin:

I'm having some problems and see that I'm using all the kit mentioned in this thread.

For some time I've been using a Harmony 525 and a Microsoft MCE keyboard with my Thermaltake HTPC which uses a Media Lab IR receiver. The IR receiver constantly crashes and has consequently cost me serious WAF points.

Like Paul I was looking for a cheap IR receiver to replace the Media Lab and opted for the Cyberlink remote. Now the Harmony 525 and Cyberlink remotes both work a treat but I can't figure out how to get the Microsoft keyboard working with it. Any ideas?

I use the CYberlink with my 525 but as it's only a keyboard emulator type you are limited. But add in some software like Intelliremote and you can program the unused buttons for other uses.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom