USB to HDMI

Chris1uk

Novice Member
Hi all,

I have a Panasonic TV that has HDMI but no USB port.
I want to be able to watch media stored on a USB stick on that TV. Is there any such adaptor that I can use that goes from HDMI female port to USB male?

Cheers

Chris

Chris1uk

Novice Member
I'll have to check the model, it's in my Son's room. That said are there any adaptors etc out there? Im not interested in paying out for an android box, a lead would keep costs down.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Hi all,

I have a Panasonic TV that has HDMI but no USB port.
I want to be able to watch media stored on a USB stick on that TV. Is there any such adaptor that I can use that goes from HDMI female port to USB male?

Cheers

Chris

On one hand you've got a drive expecting commands from a host to read and write data, on the other you've got a live video stream.

There's no remotely common ground there, you need the entire media player functionality to select files, decompress the video files into actual video, control it when it's playing (pause, subtitles etc.).

If you don't want to pay new prices for a media player then consider a second hand one, they've been around a few years now, especially if the files you're playing aren't in the latest formats.

Chris1uk

Novice Member
On one hand you've got a drive expecting commands from a host to read and write data, on the other you've got a live video stream.

There's no remotely common ground there, you need the entire media player functionality to select files, decompress the video files into actual video, control it when it's playing (pause, subtitles etc.).

If you don't want to pay new prices for a media player then consider a second hand one, they've been around a few years now, especially if the files you're playing aren't in the latest formats.
It's not live video... Seriously? It's pre downloaded content saved to a USB stick. It's really not that confusing.

John7

Apparantly you are confused!

You still need a media player to decode and "serve" the data in a format that the tv can understand through HDMI......

When you input a file via USB (on TV's with a buit in USB port), the TV's own in-built media player decodes the file(s) in a playable format.

In short, if your TV has no media player built in, you need an external media player to play files stored on USB devices!

Chris1uk

Novice Member
Apparantly you are confused!

You still need a media player to decode and "serve" the data in a format that the tv can understand through HDMI......

When you input a file via USB (on TV's with a buit in USB port), the TV's own in-built media player decodes the file(s) in a playable format.

In short, if your TV has no media player built in, you need an external media player to play files stored on USB devices!
Thank you, that makes perfect sense and answers my query.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom