USB to Ethernet possible?

Piscauk

Not quite as straightforward as appears. Appreciate there are many adapters to pop an RJ45 to USB connection, but I specifically want the connection below...

Android 12 phone -> USB Internet sharing -> ethernet -> PC to provide Internet connection.

I don't have admin on the PC to add the USB tethering... Hence wanting to go through my phone to ethernet..

Any advice, is this possible?

KBD

I am unsure if it will work, but there are indications that it might.
For instance, this micro-USB to Ethernet for Android tablets:

Amazon product

This is just me spit-balling, but I think you'll have a better chance if your phone is using a USB-C socket.

Piscauk

It's an S21 so USB C. There are hundreds of adapters to turn an ethernet into a USB, but I'm looking the other way round, which is what I'm not sure will work.

So the phone is the USB bridge to the ethernet. Which will go into the PC as just appear as any other wired network connection using an RJ45 cable.

oneman

It's an S21 so USB C. There are hundreds of adapters to turn an ethernet into a USB, but I'm looking the other way round, which is what I'm not sure will work.

So the phone is the USB bridge to the ethernet. Which will go into the PC as just appear as any other wired network connection using an RJ45 cable.
I am confused by that statement, usb is usb, ethernet is ethernet.

So basically any USB C to Ethernet adaptor with drivers that are built into android should work. Ugreen are a pretty solid brand,

UGREEN USB C to Ethernet Adapter Gigabit Type C to RJ45 Wired Network Thunderbolt 3 LAN Adaptor Compatible with MacBook, Surface Pro, iPad Pro 2021, Switch, PS5,XPS15/13, Galaxy Tabs Amazon product

Next step is to create a hotstop over ethernet, fortunately this arrived with Android 11 which S21 should have. If you go into setting, hotspot and tethering, it's that last option. Ethernet Tethering

Last edited:

Piscauk

Ah..... I'd not seen that option before! But that sounds absolutely what I need, thank you.

It's very subtle difference.

inkinoo

Distinguished Member
You can emulate USB over Ethernet, I’ve used it for controlling remote cameras. It can be flaky but does work. Only ever it tried it was USB2 and not anything higher.

oneman

You can emulate USB over Ethernet, I’ve used it for controlling remote cameras. It can be flaky but does work. Only ever it tried it was USB2 and not anything higher.
You can but you are better off getting a hardware devixe. We use them at work for license dongle on remote servers. It's basically a USB server. Fortunately not OP is looking for.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom