USB Switcher for Wireless Keyboard + Mouse set

mossmanfly

Established Member
Reaction score
Im looking at getting a USB switcher for a wireless keyboard and mouse set I have, as I currently use 2 PCs which are both connected to the same monitor and im switching between 2 sets of keyboards and mice and want to get down to just 1 set.

Ive been looking at something like

USB 2.0 Two 2 Port Auto Sharing Switch Scanner Printer: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

from what I can gather from the info its a manual switcher and also with the software you can switch via the keyboard as well.

Would there been any issues with something like this cable wise? I see I would need 2 A-B cables to connect to both PCs but apart from this any reason this wouldnt work?

Cheers

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I have been looking at something like this

Cables To Go 2-Port USB 2.0 Manual Switch: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

when it says "hot key" functionality does that mean having a short cut key or something? One I looked at seemed to switch the device over by pressing scroll lock twice, would this work considering I would be using a keyboard as the device to change? So for example I press scroll lock twice and I switch the keyboard to be used to the other PC, then press scroll lock twice and it returns to the other PC, would that be correct?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
There are dedicated devices for this called a KVM. It can switch the Keyboard, Video (ie monitor) & Mouse, but you can ignore the monitor connection if it is not wanted.

Mark.

Cheers Mark, been looking at this Belkin Switch2 for PC USB KVM switch USB 2 ports | Ebuyer.com only need to share my wireless keyboard set as my PCs are plugged into the same monitor but they both have a dedicated cable and I just press the button on the monitor.

I did look at KVMs before but thought as I dont need monitor support it would be a waste, but i suppose it would be better than a USB switcher as its main job is to support keyboards and mice.

You'd need 4 port switcher? I have two computers next to each other, sometimes use wrong keyboard lol. But what if both are on and you want to use both at the same time? Which sometimes I've done.

You'd need 4 port switcher? I have two computers next to each other, sometimes use wrong keyboard lol. But what if both are on and you want to use both at the same time? Which sometimes I've done.

Don't think I would. My wireless keyboard set is just 1 USB connection, and im only connecting to the 2 PCs so 2 USBs on the KVM. I myself have a cables keyboard and mouse to 1 PC and wireless to the other which is just have on the side that I grab when I need to use it. The wireless set is on a PC which isnt used alot as such, and both will be on at the same time, but I only need to operate 1 at a time.

If you yourself Berties need to use both at the same time then do you phyiscally need to move the mouse on both at the same time I.E 1 person on each PC at once? If not then you just switch over the keyboard and mouse to each PC when needed. I use both of mine at the same time as such, just I have to swap keyboards like u, id rather use the same keyboard and mouse rather than having to grab the others off my other desk.

If I need to use both at the same time one keyboard is in front of the other, then just use the single mouse mat. Ideally would have wider desk, but that's not possible. Don't really use them both at the same time often so not a big deal.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom