1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USb sound card anybody got any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by cowtipper, Jul 16, 2004.

1. cowtipper

cowtipper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys as many of you will know if you read the thread
    " guys i have made a mistake whilst building my HTPC "

i have made a bit of a cock up :blush: and to rectify this i need to buy a really good usb Sound card at the moment there are 2 contenders

the M Audio Sonica or the creative audigy 2 NX

what i need to know is if anybody has gone down this route and if so what was the sound quality like compared to a pci card and do you have any reccomedations about what card to use
    :smashin:

2. cowtipper

cowtipper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anybody please

3. StevieDvd

StevieDvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Can't comment on the Sonica but I have just got the M-Audio Theatre which sounds better than my built in soundcard (Shuttle with on-board sound).

The Sonica is a bit lacking in connections though isn't it.

Only problem I've found so far is that if I leave the Theatre connected then my PC hangs on bootup - though I haven't tried changing anything to overcome this (bios setting perhaps).

Software is quite good and even has settings for the speakers I have and settings for Headphones (reason I bought it in the first place).

Whether I'll keep it I can't say as I have not had much chance to use it this week.

4. Gazebo2

Gazebo2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm wouldn't touch a Creative product so I can't comment.

The M-audio Sonica is okay for digital output but the quality of the analogue output isn't exactly hi-fidelity (mine went onto Ebay).

The USB version of the M-audio Audiophile is excellent for for sound quality. If you can't afford the £170 new price I bought mine for around £100 on Ebay.

5. StevieDvd

StevieDvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Just a quick update on the M-Audio Theatre - adjusted bios to not boot from external devices and the USB card does not cause the boot process to hang anymore.

So don't let my hiccup put you off.

6. cowtipper

cowtipper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry gazebo i was talking about the sonica theatre not just the sonica

also whats makes you frown upon creative kit

7. Gazebo2

Gazebo2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't comment on the Sonica Theatre, if multi-channel audio is a requirement its certainly a cheap solution. I may upset some people here but I found its PCI equivalent the M-audio Revo to be less than capable of playing stereo music in a life-like manner.

My knowledge of Creative products is less current, perhaps things have changed in the last couple of years, but their sound quality never impressed me, nor their marketing claims (http://www.tomshardware.com/consumer/20020405/extigy-01.html was a classic review).

Both cards are based on codecs (all-in-one processing chips) which are very cheap but are of the standard that you get in £50 CD/DVD players. For a little more you can get a lot better.

8. laff2k

laff2k
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Don't touch Creative with a bargepole. Was seduced by the shiny box Audigy 2 NX. Utter garbage :mad: . Cost me £100. Poor set of drivers meant that all audio files sounded distorted and slowed down if you were browsing a drive, etc.

Have since replaced it with a cheap philips PCI card. SPDIF out works great and that's all I need.

S