USB sound box and SPDIF output

S

stratman

I've just got one of these devices from Maplins, on special offer £20.00 and have installed it on my laptop. OS is win 2000 SP3 with directX 8.1 installed. None of the DVD players I have (DVD express, came with the computer, winDVD 4.1 or PowerDVD, both trial versions will output Dolby Digital via the device. The SPDIF option is greyed out in WinDVD. There doesn't seem to be an option for turning SPDIF output on for the USB audio device in device manager. Any ideas?

Regards, Simon.

It must have it's own setup panel somewhere, programs menu perhaps, or in control panel. Quite a few people are using these things now, nobody I can remember has posted a problem like that, so either you've not looked far enough, or it's a problem specific to your device. Try maplins tech help?

MAW,

There is no control panel. According to the instructions it is plug and play, no device drivers other than those in Windows for USB audio device. It is outputting ordinary stereo via the optical out to my amp but not the DD 5.1.

Regards, Simon.

Simon, I can't find it on Maplin's site. I assume it says in the instructions/spec that it will pass through a DD signal? I ask cos you may think it's obvious, but some creative cards can't. Even though they have dig. out! They're PCM only digital out ports. If it says it should, then it must be your DVD software, perhaps your trial versions have got this feature disabled?

MAW,

Looks like you're right about it only being stereo. Seems I'll have to build a proper HCPC.

Regards, Simon.

The Abit dig.out usb does the biz, though I doubt it's anything like the M-Audio card, you gets what you pays for...

Have you seen the maudio sonica? It's got optical out and I'd be suprised if it didn't support this. £60

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom