Usb slots kaput!

botty

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I have a total of 6 USB slots on my PC, 4 on the back and 2 at the front.

The problem is the front 2 have stopped working. :thumbsdow

They were fine until I bought a caddy for my 60GB PS3 HDD and plugged it in. The red LED on the caddy came on for a few seconds then nothing happened and the LED went out. It's almost like I've blown a fuse!

Can any of you PC experts give me any ideas on how to fix this as it's a real pain not having front USB ports.

Thanks in advance,:)

Mark

You have'nt said what Windows you are using.

Have a look in Control Panel / Device Manager and view the "Human Interface Devices" and "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" folders.

If there are exclaimation marks against any of the devices then delete them and restart your PC. The USB drivers will automatically be re-installed on boot up.

All I can suggest is that you open the case and see if the motherboard has another set of USB connections. If so connect the case to the other connections and see if they work.
The only other advise is to get a USB hub, connect it to a rear USB port that works and just seat it somewhere easily accessable.

Mark.

You have'nt said what Windows you are using.

Have a look in Control Panel / Device Manager and view the "Human Interface Devices" and "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" folders.

If there are exclaimation marks against any of the devices then delete them and restart your PC. The USB drivers will automatically be re-installed on boot up.

Thanks for the replies.:thumbsup:

I am using XP, and can't find this set of folders in Control panel. Is this for XP or a different O/S?

As for changing the card or using a hub....I will do this but would prefer to get them working again if possible.

I think it has something to do with the 60GB drive I plugged in but haven't a clue what as it still works ok if I plug it into my PS3.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom