1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USB remote control for HTPC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by dave48, Jul 4, 2004.

1. dave48

dave48
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry if this has been covered a thousand times already ...

I have recently started using my HTPC as one of my main HiFi sources, but the one thing lacking is any kind of remote control, e.g. to control Windows Media Player, Real Media player etc. etc. Is there a good - and reasonably cheap - solution to this? USB seems the ideal connection, and I really need something that is not fully reliant on line-of-sight: the HTPC itself is hidden round a corner in an adjacent room (no closed door though).

Thanks for any ideas.

2. banners

banners

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hello Dave I'd recommend one of these :-http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=756075980&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=51627
    Shop around tho as price varies a lot!
    HTH Steve

3. doink

doink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have one of those unused since I got a Gyration system, pretty good starting point for remote use but the mouse tracking is AWFUL

4. dave48

dave48
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Having had a quick look on the web, it looks a reasonable solution. Are there any similar products worth a look? One question: does it work ok with Windows Media Player?

5. jwexqm

jwexqm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have the ATi Remote Wonder and am generally happy with it for basic key-binding automation. The applet software ATi supplies is OK but a far better solution is to use Girder and the X10 remote plug-in (which happens to be compatible with the Remote Wonder as I believe ATi licensed X10 technology)

Another bonus with using Girder and the X10 drivers is that you get access to *all* of the buttons on the remote (The ATi applet prevents you from binding some of the top buttons).

Mouse control through the default ATi applet is awful on the Remote Wonder. I'd say it's bad enough to make it not worth even considering using. Things are slightly better in Girder world though if you download a mouse driver script with acceleration curves. I've got one by someone called 'bitmonster' - found it on the Girder forum. This may do the same thing, I haven't had time to check.

Just noticed that ATi seem to have released a 2nd version of the Remote Wonder. This place is selling them in the UK. It costs twice the price of version 1. I like the look of the mouse 'hat' more in this model than the first. I wonder if it's more responsive and hence more usable?

Anyone got one of these?