USB recording lw650

padz

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi Is it possible to record on USB on this tv?

112 view and not 1 reply!
Some1 must know

Thanks iaine I'm in the uk so looks like I'm unlucky

If its the same as the lw550 then yes but not easy unless you have a harmony remote

But the list of free view channels will be muddled up

Originally Posted by banie01 View Post
Since I posted a while ago about the THX settings, I have been blown away by PMs
Along with the THX settings, info provided below allows the PVR to be enabled too(In Ireland anyway),Search the thread for more info on this(Part1)
So rather than reply to everyone individually and in keeping with openess and sharing I've experienced on this forum I said I'd make a post

All info given here, I got from LGFan
Before you change anything in your Service Menu be aware that changes made there can brick your TV if you don't follow the instructions or if you change settings you do not understand requiring an LG service visit to get ya going again

1st off you'll need a an LG service remote(Expensive) or a Learning remote control to gain access to the service menu.(I'd recomend Harmony but others have used OFA)
I use a logitech Harmony One and the instructions here http://harmonylghack.wikispaces.com/

The access pin for the service menu is 0413

There are some service menu options which require to be set for this part to actually mean something on top.

In service menu
"Country Group" - (press OK and reconfigure TV)

Code - 04
Group - EU

Area option -

Area code 4
Nordic UI - 0 (Nordic users should enable this one, to have SmartTV for nordics enabled)
HBBTV - 2

Tool Option3 -

DVR Ready - 1 (This is the important one!)
THX - 1 (THX calibrated picture , bright + theater)
THX Media director 1 (Hmmmmm, did not change anything i think)

Tool Option 6 -

3D THX - 1 (THX 3D Picture Preset)

Do note, other options exist, but i would recommend not playing too much, you can actually disable the tv tuner, audio, and display and such, so its a no go to change ANYTHING else..
EDIT:When you have exited the Service menu then via the setup option you should be able to pick Spain as country and edit the settings in Smart TV as follows Language: UK (or your choice of selection)
Smart-TV: UK
and recording works.., this allows PVR function

PS while I'd love to take credit for all this info.
All credit goes to the user LGFan , who has posted all this information earlier in the thread.
Rgds
Bryan

Last edited:
Are you saying the hdd i have plugged into the hdd socket is a waste of time?, i presumed you can record from the freeview down onto a hdd is this not the case?, why are shops flogging this feature if it's not available.

Hi thanks i have managed to get this to work but our remotes do not have a record button has anyone found a workaround for this?

You can record things in the future but cannot find a way to record something you are watching right now.

Is there a way to use NOVIIREMOTE software instead a logitec's hardware ?

Hi thanks i have managed to get this to work but our remotes do not have a record button has anyone found a workaround for this?

You can record things in the future but cannot find a way to record something you are watching right now.

Hi, Any pointers on how you get it to work? I tried the instructions but cannot work out how to record. Using the guide to see if I can record something in the future it just offers a reminder.
Any help will be gratefully appreciated.

i can add on top, that recording also works with "country - Germany" now.
but selecting UK, disable my cabletv tuner and only digital air channels are available, and also the attached harddrive no longer works for DVR. so sadly UK is no good as "country" if DVR is enabled.

i can add on top, that recording also works with "country - Germany" now.
but selecting UK, disable my cabletv tuner and only digital air channels are available, and also the attached harddrive no longer works for DVR. so sadly UK is no good as "country" if DVR is enabled.

Hi,
So where do I need to change the country setting? Is this the Smart-TV option? I changed that to Spain as per the instructions but the Hard drive is only recognised as a playback device. There is no option to initialise it as a DVR device.

you need to change your service menu settings to get DVR enabled at first, then you can play with country chosen to see what works.

Hi

Many thanks to LGFan and everyone who posted this information.

I have been using my OFA remote to get into the service menus on my 42LW550T, and have chosen options as described above. However, I am running into a little difficulty.

When I go into the regular settings menu to choose my country, I am only offered UK, Ireland or Ukraine. Choosing Ukraine (and re-tuning) does seem to enable the DVR functions, but I am missing a bunch of channels (73 available instead of 93) and the listing is all messed up. I guess I could work around this using the favourites functions or something, but it's not ideal.

Any idea what's going wrong? All pointers most gratefully received!

Charlie

OK, found some more stuff out from fiddling:

- Enabling the Nordic UI allows access to Nordic (no, really!!) countries in the menu. I can get about 10 channels fewer than the UK setting.

- The manual refers to DVR functions being enabled for (amongst others) Ireland, but the 'record' button has no effect with this as the set. Any ideas why?

I don't see any EPG info for any HD channels except UK. From the looks of things, that's something we're stuck with.

Cahrlie

hi there!
i have the same problem as many others (in service mode only 3 other eu countrys are available)lots of missing channels and all are in wrong order,i have no nordic or german option in the country menu!!
why do you think this is please??

looks like no pvr for us in the uk come on LG sort this out we are all supposed to be in EUROPE as one nation i thought!!

i have "nordic ui" disabled, and hbbtv set to 2, country is Germany.
i got PVR = 1 as well.

i got smartapps from UK (incl. iPlayer using unblockus), pvr works when hbbtv is manuelly disabled in options menu(when Germany is chosen) or channel does not support it.

if nordic ui is enabled you only got denmark,sweden,finland,norway available. thats really no good.
and remember the HDD needs to be in port1 of the tv as well, and tv needs to init the HDD for pvr mode and there is a limit of 40GB i think before pvr mode will work.

I recently bought one of these units and was dismayed that pvr was not enabled.
I have just started a (voice of customer) query with lg regarding this omission for UK customers.
I would suggest that anyone else who wants to try to enable this feature UK starts one of these 0844 847 5454 pressure might mount

Its not an ommision. Lg decided that the fee to freeview to allow recording to be enabled in the UK was too high, so have disabled it. The set can do it, it is an economic decision.

Personally I think some form of external PVR is essential these days anyway, so do not find this to be a big issue. If the set is recording a programme it can't do anything else, ie you can't watch another source at the same time, so it is of very limited value, perhaps for me to being able to pause a live programme on the rare occasion I am watching a live broadcast, because the PVR is recording from each of its tuners, and I want to watch the programmes later..

I appreciate the reason but most other manufacturers include this and the chinese do it for nothing, do dvr manufacturers pay anything???

In my country should PVR be enabled by default, but it wasn't in my tv. So first thing I enabled it in ezmenu :)
I like it alot, recording is so easy and no need for extra equipment. Pause, max 2h rewind and forward are great functions and they are always "active".
Little problem is, that if the set is recording a programme I can't watch another source/channel at the same time, but mostly I'm recording when nobody isn't home or some good show late at night.

Last edited:
connected USB device does not support DVR....

i got this message on my tv...how to go about this?

HDD must be FAT32 format and empty. TV will format afterwards and you can't use it for something else, only in same tv. HDD must be size 40GB-1TB.

HDD must be FAT32 format and empty. TV will format afterwards and you can't use it for something else, only in same tv. HDD must be size 40GB-1TB.

Any idea how to get the HDD back in original state sow I can use it again on the PC?

Got DVR/Timeshift working, but can't figure out how to get the HDD that was initialized by the tv for the function to work on the pc so I can use it for storage again.

Any idea how to get the HDD back in original state sow I can use it again on the PC?

Got DVR/Timeshift working, but can't figure out how to get the HDD that was initialized by the tv for the function to work on the pc so I can use it for storage again.

Hope this helps to reformat your HDD.

ALL DATA WILL BE LOST!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom